Looking for plans

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by gary1, Sep 17, 2006.

1. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Evening,
    I was in the process of building a Panga22 a Bateau design long boat and my son has taken over the building. So I'm on the look out for another boat to build for myself. What I'm chasing is plans something in the 20 to 22ft range able to be powered by a 4 stroke out board engine up to about 90 hp. Hopefully with a sef draining deck as well as the abilty to carry between100 to 150 lts of fuel as I often have to travel fairly long distances up the coast to reach my fishing destinations
    The boat will used offshore so the abilty to handle rough water should the need arise would be an advantage as well as able to head up shallow water creeks and rivers would be good. I don't need a cabin type boat and would prefer a centre console as it will be used only for fishing. Preferably using the stich and glue method as It's the only method that I have any experince with and feel reasonably confident with.
    I have always been keen on the Panga style (longboats over here in Australia) so anything along those lines would be great but having said that I'm also prepared to try and build something totaly different.
    I realise what I'm asking for is a bit of a big ask but surely Dory style boats aren't the only boats that can be built using the stich and glue method.
    So if anyone can point me in the right direction of a designer who sells plans who is thinking a bit outside of the square but can still be built by a back yarder using Stich and Glue I would greatly appreciate it.
    Stay Safe
    Gary

2. rob0816

rob0816 New Member

Hey there, I like the looks of your longboat design.I'm also looking for a great design my self and I am also very new to boat building. I have looked at some of the plans from Bateau but the only one I like was the OB19.If you can, I would like some info on the Australian Naval Architect Brett Murrie 22ft longboat. I think it is a great design

3. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

G/Day rob0816,
    Mate,what type of info are you after, send me some contact info and I'll send you all the information I can help with, This is not a hard boat to build if I can do it anyone can, the last time I spoke to Brett the N/A he was talking about possibly putting out a similar boat to mine but only 18ft in length.
    All the best
    Gary

4. Thin water

Thin water Senior Member

The Tolman Skiff, an Alaskan fishing skiff has what you need. I bought the full size plans from skiffkits.com and they are awesome. It can be made in three sizes and finished as on open fisherman, a cuddy or a workboat.

JIM

5. jdford2697

jdford2697 New Member

Goodevening,
    Gary, I was really impressed by the design you chose and the pictures of your build. My son and I have been looking for a design to build together and would like to contact Brett Murrie to look into something similar to what your building. Unfortunately we haven't been unable to find any contact information. Do you have a number, e-mail address, or link that could put us in touch with him? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

6. gary1

gary1 Senior Member

Evening jdford2697,
    Mate I have sent you an email with the information you were after anything else I can help with just give us a yell.
    Stay Safe
    Gary