plating, aim for this

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by lazeyjack, Jul 17, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I was at the yard of some guys who used work for me, and they have been with their own company now for a dozen years, they are in my opinion , the most exacting metal boatbuilders , I have never seen such level of skill anywhere in the world,
    You will see the stretching marks on the centre of the plate, this makes the (banana) fore and aft, then the forming is done later,
    the plate is then offered up and no forcing is necessary, when you force a plate, then hit it with the welder, you relieve the natural stress and the plate collapses and shrinks in the weld area,

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

the section standing upsidedown is nor yet on the (boat) which is of coarse build right way up, all parts are build in manageable modules and and the boat is built up on the keel and keel and stem bars

1 person likes this.
  3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Lazeyjack,

Beautiful work there.

You back in OZ? Been awhile. Nice to hear from you.

Tim

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Too bad they didn't build my boat. Most builder don't know how to handle heat stress. They just later try to cover up.

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

most builders are small time engineering shops, that think they can turn to yachtbuilding, and the results are mostly disastrous for owners, yachtbuilding inmetal, is a trade to be learnt, like yachtbuilding in Timber, an anology would be, for me to THINK I can design properly the boat, when I am not quailified to do so, I can tell the architect exactly what I want, but thats it, when I see the result I know if it will work or not, so many people now learn CAD, it does not mean they can get it all right, same with your engineering shop, because they can fabricate a steel truck body or something, does not mean they will build a good boat, it takes years to learn all the tricks of our trade

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.