Volvo MD22 issues

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by drunkin clown, Feb 3, 2013.

1. drunkin clown

drunkin clown Junior Member

My buddy has a boat with one of these engines in it.We have been out in this craft a few time and the engine seems to be running hot.Today we started it up and smoke began to come out of the vent and dip stick piece there.What does this mean? whats going on in there that causes so much smoke?I will say it does have an angled gearbox and is sitting kinda low up the front of motor.When it runs it levels off.What are you thoughts on this guys?

2. parkland

parkland Senior Member

When you say it's "Running hot", do you mean it is actually running hot, or are you speculating from the smoke, or do you feel excessive heat coming from it?

I'm not a diesel engine guru, but smoke coming out of anywhere usually means the crank case breather is clogged.

Or the rings could be finished.

3. drunkin clown

I was thinking some kind of blowby aswell.I just dont want this engine running away on him.The heat exchanger gets hot,told him to flush out his motor and change zincs.His breather does look a little caked up.Maybe a valve is acting up.?..I dont know....

4. drunkin clown

He has one of those mushroom air filters,should he swap that out for something else?

5. parkland

parkland Senior Member

I'll say again I'm not a guru, but if this was me, I'd take the filter off and see if that resolves the issue, and go through a general maintenance overhaul of the engine.

I know that on diesel pickup trucks, you can take the oil filler cap off, and note how much vapour comes out to determine if theres a blowby problem.
    Steady wafting is normal, excessive puffing or "chugging" of vapour usually means a cylinder has bad blowby.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is there water coming out of the exhaust ?

7. drunkin clown

yes...Im thinking its blowby,the rings are shot.There is smoke and oil coming out of the vent.Issues!

8. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"Im thinking its blowby,the rings are shot"

More likely the rings are STUCK, not shot.

There are "cures" that might not require disassembly.

The easiest is the goo used to free outboards from their carbon.

9. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Drunkin,

I had an overheating issue on my MD2 Volvo engine way back when. If the engine is running hot because it is not getting enough cooling water, then the other symptoms like smoke occur. You should check the water pump and see if it is the style where the little deflector cam for the impeller is worn. This is what happened on my engine. In the water pump, the rubber impeller blades are deflected by a little cam. On older models, this cam was a separate piece that could be changed out--it had a little set screw on the side of the pump casing. When that cam gets worn down after years of use, the rubber blades of the impeller don't deflect as much and so the pump does not pump enough water into the engine. The engine runs hot. My exhaust line (rubber hose) ran up into the cockpit locker where I could put my hand on it to judge the exhaust temperature, as cooled by the cooling water. It was supposed to be warm to the touch, but I could not put my hand on the exhaust line because it was way too hot. The engine was stalling periodically because it was running too hot.

I called my local Volvo mechanic who pointed out to me the worn cam. Within minutes it was replaced, and the engine ran fine after that, back to its normal temperature and no stalling.

This was back in the 1970s. Newer models coming out about then had the cam cast right into the pump body so that you could not replace the cam when it was worn, you had to replace the whole pump. If your friend's engine is a number of years old, with lots of hours on it, have him check the water pump for wear on the cam inside. Replace either the cam or the whole pump if you have to, and that just might solve the problem.

Good luck.

Eric

10. drunkin clown

There is plenty of water coming from the exhaust.As soon as he starts his engine smoke comes from the crankcase vent dip stick tube.The heat exchanger gets real hot real fast.will check the waterpump to see its condition.Still thinking its blowby though.Thank god I have a Cummins!Was looking at his water supply to engine the otherday,didnt understand why it cools transmission first then on to engine.Thats alot of work for that little pump.
    Thanks for the replies guys,appreciate you input into this matter.

11. parkland

parkland Senior Member

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a volvo out last a cummins.
    Everyone thinks cummins is so great but it isn't.

12. drunkin clown

You dont have to be like that Parkland,we all have our opinions.I prefer Cummins to Volvo.Im here asking questions for my buddy so he doesnt have to fork out a ton of money.I do appreciate everyones input.

13. parkland

parkland Senior Member

Didn't mean to be offensive, just shop talk :)

14. drunkin clown

No worries mate!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.