propeller-gearbox match dilemma

Discussion in 'Props' started by tahrir, May 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tahrir

tahrir New Member

So here's my situation. I'm building a dix 43 steel cutter. it's 15 tonnes, 11.87m at waterline, around 4m beam. The designer specifies an 18inch prop for a yanmar 4jhe which I believe is 44hp,3600rpm, with a 2.1:1 gearbox ratio. According to various online prop size calculators, 18 inch prop for that size of engine is too much.
    Regardless, I came across a good deal on a rebuilt nanni n4.60 (60hp, 2800rpm) and bought it thinking it would be nice to have a bit more power. The problem is that the transmission on it is 2.71:1 ratio, which means shaft rpms of about 1000. And the above mentioned calculators give 22inch propellers as most efficient.
    As I'm doing the build myself I can make modifications to fit a 22 inch prop but wouldn't like to deviate from the plans too much, especially because of added drag when sailing, unless absolutely necessary. And since I don't fully understand the implications of reducing the diameter and increasing the pitch of the prop, I'm hoping to get some pointers here.
    Or should I just get a lower ratio gearbox?
    Thanks in advance

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

It would help if you posted the data that you fed the prop calculators, and the entire results. I'm pretty confident Dudley can size a prop. For the Yanmar, Prop-it-now returns 18 X 10 given 41hp@3500rpm, 2.17 reduction, 3 bladed prop, 8.5 knots. Prop-It-Now // Michigan Wheel https://www.miwheel.com/inboard-propellers/prop-it-now/

For the Nanni, if you underprop it a tad, 18x20 or 18x 21 would work fine in open water. This is for the same speed of 8.5 knots. Or 18x22 at 9 knots. The trouble with the Nanni will be with the idle speed. The boat will idle like a freight train through the marina with a 20 pitch prop. So if you can manage to modify the boat to take a larger diameter prop, you can pitch it down and get the idle speed lower. Or just accept that you will be slipping it in and out of gear a lot. On the other hand, a smaller, high pitch prop is nice for motorsailing.

3. tahrir

tahrir New Member

Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful. I've also heard back from the designer. He recommends a 22x14, three bladed prop... that should fit.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.