Amphibios motor home

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by rick gray, Dec 27, 2012.

1. rick gray

rick gray Junior Member

Hello: I am a new member and hope to chat and exchange ideas for my project. i have started to fabricate an aluminium sea sled hull of 20ft. x 8ft.jet powered with v8 power ,rear wheel drive, with shift options to jet or drive wheels. no photos as yet. hope to maket as a design or hull kit. Thanks for any input or questions? Rick

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

is the idea that you drive a motor home on to a flat bed hull, that also has a drive to power the hull by using the motor home engine?

Similar ideas has been around, I do not think any have been a commercial success (usually end up too costly). It will be interesting to see how you will accomplish this concept.

3. rick gray

rick gray Junior Member

THe cocept of my project is to fabricate an aluminium hull like the old sea sled design. it is like a bostonwhaler or modified cat hull, with wheels nested in the pontoon section of hull. the hull is still a 8 degree deadrise modified v frame section. i have the drive line layed out ,using divorced transfercases from 4x4 truck to be able to shift from rear wheel drive train, to power a jetdrive. no reverse gear needed ,as jetdrive has a reverse jet director nozzle.the upper part is fashioned after a large panel van or motor home.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

you need to state the vechicles land ability.

Will it be a simple curb crawler ? or will you be hauling *** down the autoroute ?

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

In the old days, when you could still drive a home made vehicle across Europe without inspections, certificates etc, I built a motor home that had a 17 ft Glastron Bayflite inside. Many people mistook it for an amphibian because the Volvo Penta leg peeked out through an opening in the glass fiber rear doors.

A bad idea. It became a real amphibian when I pulled the boat back in on a sandy beach, noticed too late that the whole rear axle had disappeared in the sand, high tide was coming in and I had to wait for a truck and a tractor to pull the vehicle to dry land.

7. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Attached Files:

8. rick gray

rick gray Junior Member

hot rod amphibian

Michael: the vehicle will be built to freeway speed at least. powed by chev v8, with caddillac independant rear axle sub frame grafted inside hull.the front suspension is chev truck modified maybe air lift or hydraulic assist to retract wheels .hve built several hotrod trucks etc. so this should work, how well is yet to be seen.

Will it be a simple curb crawler ? or will you be hauling *** down the autoroute ?[/QUOTE]

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I would suggest that you make an effort to make the structure as aerodynamic as possible.

The wind factor of a structure on water is much, much greater than a land vehicle, and can make a big difference to the success of the project.

10. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Highyway speeds are the complication because they rule out hydraulic drive.

11. myark

myark Senior Member

12. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

13. myark

myark Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You probably won't be able to get a title and registration unless you go through the crash test, emission compliance, etc.

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Are you the dude in the video ? Great invention this one.

Do you sell the plans or the actual item ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.