Looking for input on my cabin redesign

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Skua, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Skua

Skua Senior Member

"3M sells a film product that will reduce the UV A & B into the boat by about 98%, plus a huge heat transmission differential and greatly reinforces the glass/plastic"

I will look into that, as it's really needed. It has cooked 2 sets of curtains already

2. Skua

Skua Senior Member

"With some waves outside your chairs will slide around.
    The fruit platter will most likely not survive the first day on the water.
    I see a reasonable concept as a house boat but also a huge waste of space/volume. Where are the lockers, storages, etc? Not even a wardrobe.
    The toilet compartment offers little space for a shower (as far as I can see)
    I find the galley's double sink too large compared with the overall size of the vessel; the hob sits too close to the bulkhead. There will be issues with greasy grime and heat.
    And like TANSL said: it is all corners and edges. Even the hull. What you have there is a concept, but you posted it too early. Work out some details"

I think a wardrobe is over the top for a 28 ft weekend cruiser. The head, is in reality, smaller than depicted by 4 inches. Shower was unusable to to space limitations, and structures made from fiberboard. I will be designing a canopy for the back deck which will have a keder rail, for a shower curtain.

The chairs will be retained, while not in use, by the table top folding over them to keep them from sliding about.

Fruit platter and do-dads where added just for window dressing. Storage is provided by the combination step/cabinets at the rear bulkhead, and are 2x the current storage space, as well as under the vberth.

I agree the double sink is too large. It was simply placed in to see what the space arrangement would be. The current sink is 1/2 the size of 1 side of the double depicted. I will be installing a larger single.

I'm not designing a boat, I'm remodeling the cabin. Galley, Vberth and head will receive cosmetic upgrades only

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

There appears to be no newpaper rack next to the head?. Bad, real bad

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

And the fridge for beer?
    Separate the table from side and place, in this space, a bank.
    Find a way to the main deck is supported not only by crystals.

5. Skua

Skua Senior Member

Fridge is already in, it's under the cooktop not quite sure about the rest:confused:

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

does not seem the most appropriate location, temperature buildup, poor ventilation.
    The door seems to be much higher than the side windows. Is that possible?. How tall is the living room?

7. Skua

Skua Senior Member

"The door seems to be much higher than the side windows. Is that possible?. How tall is the living room?"

Yep very similar to most flybridge designs here in the US. Door from rear deck rises about 2 ft above windows, hence the 2ft stair/cabinets. you step down into salon. From deck to ceiling, is barely 6ft 4 in., was 6'1" before I started.

8. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

You're right, sure, but as I do not see the rest of the boat, I can get an idea of ​​what the status of each object. Apparently, then, the windows are below the passengers head :confused:
    What about how the deck is supported?. It is an issue that has me worried

9. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Helm?

10. Skua

Skua Senior Member

"You're right, sure, but as I do not see the rest of the boat, I can get an idea of ​​what the status of each object. Apparently, then, the windows are below the passengers head
    What about how the deck is supported?. It is an issue that has me worried"

Nothing to be worried about. Boat has fucnctioned fine for 27 years. The windows are about 1 inch from the ceiling, which is not shown as it is not pertinent to the interior decorating. The ceiling forms the deck for the flybridge, where the helm is located. The rear bulkhead with entrance, the windows, and the partial bulkheads from the galley and head support the fly deck.

I am lowering the walking deck in the cabin, 3 inches, to allow more headroom, as not everyone is as compact, height wise as the First Mate and I are . This started as a necessity to remove the leaking gas tank. Water had pooled in the cofferdam from the poor design of the rear bulhead, and corroded the bottom corner of the tank.

Nothing mechanical or electrical has or will move from its current location.

11. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Cable . Plumbing , insulation and ventilation takes up interior space. Its a small boat so probably not much equipment.

The aft faceing head bulkhead mightbe a good candidate for double wall bulkhead to enabe a routing path. Surface mount light switchs, electrical boxs look terrible....better flush into a double wall.

Modern boats need sewage tanks. Under the head it logical. You might raise up th floor in the head . Shower drainage tank and blackwater tank.

At any rate you should model all systems sothat its gear will fit.

12. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Skua, if, as you say, the deck is only supported on bulkheads will be needed a few beams and girders extremely large, so that the interior height will be greatly reduced. Not to mention the efforts that all ships are endured by the side plates, and in this case, since there is not side shell, do not know who the endure.
    I'm afraid the equipment, reinforcements, insulation, tanks, pipes, dining-roon height, etc.. etc. does not matter much to you. A hole in the hull for the windows of more than 3 m does not matter. What does matter is to know our opinion on the bowl on the table. Knowing only what you show us and the explanations you give, I have to say it can be a disaster project. To distribute an apartment on the seaside can be very simple. That same furniture, on a boat, can be very confrontational. So in my opinion, the first thing to be done is a model as detailed as possible for the ship's structure, with all her equipment. And if you do not have the required software, you have two options: get it or do something else.
    Cheers.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Some of you don't get what this poster is trying to do. He's not designing a boat, he's remodeling an existing cabin. Tansl in particular seems to think a disaster is in the making, when in fact Suka is just putting a few cabinets and seating into an existing structure. Yes, some things will move, but it's not rocket science, nor especially difficult to visualize, with the software package he has and build to and around the structure he has already.

The real "meat" of the project will present itself once you rip out the existing furniture and start laying out for version 2.0. Naturally, you'll want to leave structural elements in place or if necessary replace or relocate them as necessary. I'm not sure of the year, make and model of this cruiser, but it's likely there's a liner, possibly bonded to the hull shell in places and a deck cap/superstructure arrangement. You can hack out pretty much most of the liner and built in furniture, with few worries it'll all fall in on you. Naturally, bulkheads and tabbed in partitions should be left in place until they're replaced (if necessary) with new structure. Maybe if you posted some pictures of the project, some of these worry warts will relax.

Suka, try not to pay attention to the voices behind the curtan, your plans will do fine. There are some things that will become obvious when you get started building, such as counter top fiddles and clips to keep chairs in place, but for the most part, it's really up to you to place things where you want, secure things as necessary and let the naysayers who clearly don't fully understand your project, take a pill and beat up on someone else they feel superior to.

14. HakimKlunker

HakimKlunker Andreas der Juengere

From what I saw until now: the boat is too small for what you try to make from it. Some things do not work out - no matter how hard we try.

15. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

PAR, I guess you're right and that your view is right. Mine too.
    I do not know how is the boat. I can only be guided by what Skua shows and tells us. And what he shows us, to me, it seems unfeasible. If the boat has a structure not showed by Skua's sketch, I have to say that my views are wrong. If the boat has, as Skua says, some windows too big, I have to say that them will lead to disaster.
    PAR, in order to clarify things, please, if I said something foolish, let it know to all who read this thread. If Skua has something to improve, you will make a favor by telling. Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.