Dream Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mr Efficiency, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Just recently I dreamt I was out on the water on a power boat, a cat, and it seemed to be motoring along in very shallow, clear water, Too shallow, surely to keep the props out of the sand ! :eek: So, I takes a look over the stern to see what's going on, and lo and behold, no propellors, just rotating, wide, smooth endless belts ! :eek:. Dream ends.

A day or two later I did some googling and came up with this:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/water-caterpillar-drive-36323.html

I can certainly see the appeal of using friction to drive the boat, even turning the devil of drag into a virtue. But, in practical use in fast boats, leaping about in waves, keeping it in the water seems to me a major problem. Now, I am wondering, for a boat like a monohedron vee-hull, whether such a set-up could offer significant resistance reduction even if wide, rotating belts,from say amidships to the stern, moving like the surface you find at a supermarket check-out counter, were un-powered, and a conventional out-drive or outboard was used ?

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

If only the belts can spin faster than the water flowing over them. Might be possible in small boat. Drive would cavitate and produce lift. I don't know how well it would last in salt water.

3. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

Might be interesting to take a snow mobile and build a hull around it, see what it does. :)

cheers
    Lurvio

4. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

dident they used to call them side wheelers?

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Would it not be more "slippery" than a fixed hull bottom, even if not moving faster than the water ( unpowered, of course) ? Obviously it would have internal losses and not keep pace with the water flow 100%. As for the additional lift, is that correct, it would create greater lift ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.