Looking for info on Hustler 25.5

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jksoft, Apr 30, 2007.

1. jksoft

jksoft Junior Member

I have been shopping for my first boat for some time and have run across a Hustler 25.5 built in 77. I am having a hard time find a lot of information on this boat. I know it was built in the UK. From the reviews, it looks like the performance characteristics are very good, the only exception being its instability while headed downwind (deathroll). Sails and rigging in very good condition, but interior is in need of updating.

I am trying to find as much information on this boat as possible so was wondering if anyone here had any experience. I plan to use the boat for cruising some of the islands down here and perhaps race her as well locally. Does this seem like a good first boat to learn the finer points of sailing on? To this point, I have mostly sailed dinghies with a 22' Catalina thrown in.

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

The boat would have been built by Landamore's in Wroxham and sold through Island Boat Sales.They were designed with consideration of IOR and have the sailing qualities that result.An inquiry to a forum frequented by EAORA sailors might get answers about sailing characteristics,not sure if such a forum exists.

3. Accutrac

Accutrac New Member

Re Hustler 25.5

I used to own a Hustler 25.5, designed by Holman & Pye and yes, built in England. I found her a very small boat, prone to be very tender in even slight seas and light winds & seas and not a very manageable boat to sail atall. The helm was very skittish and not very forgiving, I was never able to leave the helm for a minute.
    I found the chain plate rigging attatchments to be very poorly constructed and had trouble with the keel. The rudder is not well designed. The boat heels over a long way and is slow to come upright. Needs reefing early on and is only really happy in a flat sea winds. I would not have thought in my experience that she would be good boat for sailing in the caribbean where tradewinds and larger seas sometimes could make you feel that this boat would be out of her depth!
    I would suggest a much sturdier boat that may be better built. Most hustlers were home completeed to poor standards and I would want to check the keel and hull to deck attatchements very carefully along with the rudder and rigging attatchments
    Regards
    Andy

4. jksoft

jksoft Junior Member

Hustler 25.5 vs. Pearson 30

Thank you for the information. Despite the age of the original post, I am still in the search phase for a boat and the Hustler was still on the list although the price was making me a bit uncomfortable. Another boat I am considering is a Pearson 30, which although I haven't sailed one yet, seems like it might address some of the shortcomings you mention with the Hustler, although not all. I'm pretty sure the Hustler was designed as a racing boat which goes along with what you experienced. I don't plan to race, just cruise.

I'm still looking for opinions from anyone who has sailed either boat.

Thank you

5. Accutrac

Accutrac New Member

re hustler 25

The pearson 30 is a greatboat, i would consider this one seriously, she's a more sensible size too. She has a great cruising pedigree with a good performance
    Regards
    Andrew

6. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

7. PTBW

PTBW New Member

Husrtler 25.5

Sir, After this lenghth of time I don't know whether you bought the Hustler 25.5 or not but for the benefit of future viewers I would like to put an alternative view to the earlier post describing the boat as "tender". I have owned Hull No 4 for the last 6 years having bought her in Weymouth (UK). She was buit by EC Landamores in East Anglia in 1972 and is still going strong as a successful club cruiser racer here in Cork. I have regularly sailed her down to West Cork and have been across to Isles of Scilly 9UK0 in her sister ship (Hiull 3) whicj belonged to Don Pye the designer at one time.There are not many around but the SE coast of England still has a fair few and they come up ein UK boat magazines from time to time. She is a solid sea boat with ca. 40% ballast ration and therfore very stiff by modern standards. I frequently sail her single handed (with a furling headsail0 and have only death rolled once in all that time under spinnaker in 20kt against a 2kt tide. Not surprisingly sher broached but came upright straight away. I've had her over to 30° of heel with too much sail up in F7 and she still had plenty of grip. The reverse sloping rudder goes to within a foot of the keel. She needs to be reefed above F5 and usually a full main and No3 is adequate or a few rolls of the headsail and a single reef. Accommodation is good for 4 despite her size but I would go for the model with port side galley as it provides 3 good sea berths. I have photos if you are still interested. Good luck with your selection. PW

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.