Looking for info / name Herreshoff picnic launch design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by ASM, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Hi all, I have this picture on my hard drive but I can not seem to find out where I got it from or what the name is so I can google... can someone identify this vessel ? Thanks !

Attached Files:

2. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

3. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

L. Francis did design a very similar looking boat and at one time I had some drawings of of it. It was 42 feet long and maybe a little narrower than the one you show. It had a small sleeping cabin in the stern and an external transom hung rudder. It was designed to tow a fleet of sailboats out to the race course at some yacht club. The engine if I recall was about 100 hp with a 2.5/1 redution and a large-ish wheel. Memory could be faulty on that one. The blueprints faded over time and became unreadable. But it looked to me to be a rather nice boat-very utilitarian.

4. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Yes ...F.L.H. was rather good at that...............:idea:

5. ASM

ASM Senior Member

Thanks boat fan ! that's it, the Bolger, sorry for the mixing up of names. I really love this boat, the looks, the simplicity yet timeless. Good to mix with the FL26 from http://www.bateau.com/, so fairly easy to build. I have read a guy here int he Netherlands is actually building one with a 10 kW electric engine, now how's that !

6. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Hello again .

That is an unusual building method for the " Fast Launch 26 "...

Getting the forward hull flare with "slits" in the plywood panels.

Interesting....:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.