infusion stack

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by olorin63, May 31, 2014.

1. olorin63

olorin63 New Member

Hi,
    I searched a lot on this forum to try and find an answer before joining. There are other forums out there but this seemed to be the most knowledgeable in fabrication. I am about to do a resin infusion for the first time. My question is about the layers in the stack.
    Is this correct?
    1. gelcoat
    2. 290gm woven roving
    3. soric core material
    4. 290gm woven roving
    5. 450gm csm
    6. 290gm woven roving
    7. infusion mesh
    8. breather fabric
    9. peel ply
    10. bagging film

If not, could someone point me in the right direction? And would my stacked layers amount to a thickness of approximately 3mm?
    Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for your time.

2. adam_designer

adam_designer Junior Member

HI, welcome to the forum.
    Thats about right. what is it used for? using woven roving, especially heavy one ( say, 800 gsm or so) right after gelcoat may caused print through. I never use 290 gsm (gram / square meter) so i dont quite sure. using non woven fabric, such as Double Bias will minimize print through.

you can use double bias fabric / non woven fabric with equal weight. I recommend it.

also in infusion Woven roving is slightly sucks more resin than non woven. but it is small

CSM is tends to slowing the resin flow, because it's bonding agent is sometimes add viscosity to resin. and the csm bonding agent is not compatible with epoxy.

You better use Stitched CSM or use combi stitched csm with fabric. if you use 1 mm soric, yes its about 3mm. check it by calculating Volume fraction.

3. groper

groper Senior Member

No, it's quite wrong.

I suggest researching the process via Google, there is so much information out there already. Also YouTube has some great videos detailing the process aswell. I suggest you should read about the purpose of peel ply and the perforated release film first.

4. adam_designer

adam_designer Junior Member

oh yes...groper right. I didnt noticed it earlier. you misplaced mesh, breather film and peel ply. you can use peel ply >mesh > plastic bagging. breather film may not necessary, depends on you purpose.

5. olorin63

olorin63 New Member

Thanks for the replies people.
    I already Googled it before I joined this forum.
    Maybe I didn't enter the right phrase, but I could not find any information as to the layers used except 4 layers of carbon, or one layer carbon, one soric,one carbon,one soric... etc
    I will look again tomorrow.
    I don't have access to a computer all the time.
    Thanks again for your time in answering