Looking for design for 16 - 20 ft centerconsole to build in aluminun (outboard power)

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Northeaster, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Northeaster

Northeaster Senior Member

Hi Folks,

If you have seen my prevoius thread, I was hoping to build a larger boat, with inboard diesel. Due to budget and size / time commitment, I may reduce the size of my first boat build to be something in the range of 16 -20 ft, with outboard power, to be used for near-inshore fishing and island hopping.

Could anyone point me to some nice designs in this catagory, that would be a good choice to build in aluminum (plans for aluminum build, that do not require conversion from wood, for example)?

One I have seen is this one, but would like to see what other designs are out there, and how well thought of they are?

http://www.bodenboatplans.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=6

Any pics or other info would be appreciated!

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Hard to find small alumium boat plans for home builders. Google ... aluminium workboat, skiff, garvey. A Company in the UK has a wide range of small commercial craft. Port police and harbour master's use them . If I have time today Ill search for a few links.

3. Northeaster

Hi Michael,

I had looked some in google, but following your advice I did come up with othe designs, such as this on from the Glen L site.

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/outboard/jimbo.html

It is on the small end of what I want, but would, of course, cost less for materials and smaller outboard, and may be a great 1st timer project.

Any further advice or input would be great!

4. michael pierzga

5. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot Senior Member

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've dealt with Chris Tucker at CTMD before and found him very helpful he has a number of small and work boat designs for alloy construction in his portfolio monohull and small power catamarans.

His website is http://www.ctmd.com.au

7. luckyjr

luckyjr Junior Member

b.jpg

This is something I am going to do after I finish my weekender. I live on the Gulf Coast and finding the fish in the shallows presents a probelm. This a modified pontoon center console design will allow shallow draft, speed,strength, space, and unsinkable safety. The 20 " pontoons with 19" x 19" block of styrofoam can be bought for around $925 welded out in 10' long section. That is the price I got from a local fabricator. So, the length and width is up to you. The center pontoon is 20" deep and 28" wide with a block of styrofoam the same size. I show a drop center section but it can be flat depending on the size of the center pontoon size. I think the size of the 20" pontoons will allow for ez wade fishing and access back in the boat. The pontoon connection will be aluminum riser hats and galvanized steel cross members. The floor will be 6" wide x 1.5" light gauge galvanized 90 steel channels. They come in any length and weigh 1.49lbs per foot. You can covered the floor with carpet , vynal or any surface. The cross members will be galvanized 90 2.5" channel connected to the hats riser with galvanized bolts an nuts. Of course the aluminum center console with bridge and seating and storage as required. Fish and play is the way I see it.:)

8. Northeaster

That is an interesting design. Sounds like it would suit you well.

Where I am at, depth is not really an issue, and there is usually a 10-20kt wind, so there is usually alot of chop. I think I will continue to look at the more traditional designs, for my purpose.

9. michael pierzga

10. Mick@itc

Mick@itc Junior Member

Try Dudley Dix designs...