Looking for Design Book

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by swan1, Apr 15, 2014.

1. swan1

swan1 Junior Member

I'm starting Westlawn program (again) and looking for a specific vintage book required on Module I

Titled "Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development for Draftsmen, Loftsman, and Sheet Metal Workers". S.S. Rabl 1.941

I searched this site Book Store, eBay and around the net for a month with no reasonable luck. If some one can help will be appreciated.

Tnx in advance.

2. JSL

JSL Senior Member

I suggest you go back to Westlawn and ask them where to get this book... or if there is a suitable substitute.

3. swan1

swan1 Junior Member

Tnx for reply, I assume this print is one of a kind lecture since is difficult to find, will do and hope to find it soon. Tnx again.

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

On Amazon there are currently 4 used copies from $96.00 and up.

5. swan1

swan1 Junior Member

Thanks Angelique, I did find those and a couple on eBay but no reasonable "$ luck" or cost-benefit for as dated paper.

6. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Echo Point Books & Media has reprinted another of Rabl's popular titles, Boatbuilding in Your Own Backyard. http://www.echopointbooks.com/product/boatbuilding-in-your-own-backyard/ Perhaps they might be interested in reprinting Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development.

Cornell Maritime Press was the original publisher but unfortunately they went out of business a few years ago and Schiffer Publishing acquired their titles. But either they were not interested in offering Rabl's titles and Echo Bay made a deal with them, or Rabl's titles were not included in acquisition by Schiffer and Echo Bay acquired the rights to Boatbuilding in Your Own Backyard separately.

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

8. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

I don't know if they are using Rabl's book for a particular reason, but there are lots of books with a section on Lofting. The Gougeon Brothers On Boat Construction has a very complete lofting chapter. It's available free for download on their website.

9. Angélique

The latter has almost the same ridiculous prices as on Amazon. If it's salable for something close to those asking prices then your library may be worth a fortune . . :)

10. Angélique

Maybe, if allowed (?), Swan1 would pay the costs if someone made a PDF out of it . . ? ?

11. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

$150.00 for a little paperback is not (in my experience) at all unusual for a collage or university course text. I'm afraid we are living in the old world where $500 was a lot of money, now it just gets you a handful of books.

12. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development is currently out of print with no expectation that it will be reprinted. The asking prices for existing copies, currently $96 and up on Bookfinder, are the result of what the sellers think someone might be willing to pay them. And most of the booksellers are probably basing their asking prices on the prices on Bookfinder or similar sights when they set their price. The other side of the equation, prospective buyers, also use sites such as Bookfinder and Amazon for their information on what the current market prices are. Unfortunately it isn't easy to see how many copies of a book have actually sold in the recent past and for what price. So once a book gets a reputation as selling for a high price the asking prices may stay high for a while even if no one is buying.

A quick search of eBay found one copy of Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development which sold a month ago for $33 with shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ship-and-Ai...513?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item4862439cb9 Presumably the seller was motivated to actually sell the book, not sit on it and hope for a higher price. One copy is currently listed on eBay for $150.

This phenomena of high prices for out or print book with continuing demand which was originally printed in relatively low volume goes out of print is relatively common. Look at the asking prices for the 1988 edition of Principles of Naval Architecture or Yacht Design Explained by Hunter and Killing, though prices for the latter have dropped substantially in the last several years so perhaps market reality does eventually work.

13. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development was first published in 1941 so the copyright is still in force. The original edition was copyright by Cornell Maritime Press which re-issued it in 1985. Cornell Maritime Press unfortunatelywent out of business a few years ago and Schiffer Publishing acquired their titles and has most of the titles in print, but not Rabl's books. Last year Echo Point Books & Media reissued another of Rabl's books, Boatbuilding in Your Own Backyard, so presumably they acquired rights to that book. I sent Echo Point a note suggesting they consider reissuing Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development; no idea if they will be interested.

Added: I received a reply from Echo Point Books saying that they will look into re-issuing Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development.

14. swan1

swan1 Junior Member

Thank you all for help and positive responses, I know is a market value but $96 plus to much for a budget since the paper is not rated as a collective yet or set appraised - http://www.nationalbookauctions.com/books.htm - I'll follow up on your request to the publisher David, they might guide me to a current source I hope. Again thanks Tad Angelique and David. Cheers!

15. swan1

swan1 Junior Member

I got a copy today, moving on ... thanks again!