Infusing Panels and Ribs at same time?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by dshowalt, Feb 5, 2012.

1. dshowalt

dshowalt Junior Member

I am looking for feedback on infusing the Panel and a stiffening rib at the same time. In the attached .pdf the panel is approx 50" by 96" and the stiffener is about 3" wide by 1" high. Should I infuse the panel first and then place a foam core for the Rib and infuse that as a secondary process? Or can I lay the Panel and Cloth and Foam Core for Rib and Cloth over Rib all at once? Will the Resin Reach the area under the Rib Foam and wet out the cloth between the panel surface and the Rib?

Attached Files:

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Its a good idea, but I guess the problems is that you will not know if the wetout was successfully unless you later drill an inspection hole - or two, or three.

The placement of the vacuum lines will be critical, but even then you wont be able to see it working or - not.

Is it worth the time and trouble of a few test runs on small samples, versus doing it in two stages ?

It seems at first glance that the second stage stiffener is such a small component, doing the rib section by hand as stage 2, would probably be the most efficient method overall, unless you have to do many units.

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

You can do this in 1 go. Make sure you have a permeable fiber under the stiffener (unifilo / continuous filament mat) or a rovicore / polymat material.

also a vacuum line on top of the stringer is not a bad idea

4. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

We do this all the time. Drystack the part, lay on the rib core and lay glass over it. Bag-Shoot-presto! We find that this keeps the part closer to the original shape. Less warping.

-jim lee

5. latman

latman Junior Member

I have infused a Soric cored deck and a 50cm long X 3cm wide PVC stiffening foam rib in one shot on a kayak before , is the positioning of your rib critical ? I agree you will need a permeable layer under the rib and if a permeable layer is above the rib it will be wet out at the same time (or release film and a flow media).

6. coolgps

coolgps Junior Member

It is easy, treat it as one panel.