1. The Marketplace Forums can be useful for members who know one another well from forum discussions and offline communications and wish to post boatbuilding tools, drafting tools, molds and tooling, and other professional equipment for sale or trade. However, caution and good judgement should always be used. Especially when considering any business with anyone not already well known to you and trusted, due diligence must be used to confirm details and identity and be sure the transaction is safe before any money or property changes hands. Always use good judgement and perform due dilligence and follow these guidelines.

Looking for Used Rangeley Molds

Discussion in 'Boat Molds' started by philbrick, Jan 13, 2010.

1. philbrick

philbrick New Member

:( I have a 15 ft. cypress strip Rangeley that was partially crushed by a falling oak. I am trying to rebuild the front 1/4 of it but could really benefit from the forms to get the shape right. Any one out there that can help me? I know I can buy them new from Newfound Woodworks for $250, but I'm looking for a deal.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I believe I have a set but what you need are the drawn sections. It makes more sense to loft the molds you need from offsets, and you would need to find the stripper version, as the Gardner book model is, I believe, lapstrake.
    Once you have the plans, do you know how to loft from a table of offsets? Actually, this is far easier than full lofting, just X-Y coordinates and fair through the marks. You could do it with a single limber batten and some brads.

3. philbrick

philbrick New Member

Thanks?

Alan, thanks for the quick response. Although nicely detailed, the amount of terminology that you use that I am not familiar with tells me I may be in way over my head. My boat was built by Kevin Creedy, and Arts and Crafts furniture builder out of Asheville NC. I didn't pay a lot for it on e-bay, but it is such a thing of beauty that I would at least like to get it in rowable condition.
    I have a friend that repairs wooden furniture and he is willing to help me.
    If you provide an email I can send you some pics to tell me if I even have a chance.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Alan, I'm fairly sure that John Gardner's book (volume 1), though lapstrake will let you loft to the inside of the planking as if it was carvel. The line off would be preformed after the molds where cut to these dimensions.

The Rangeley is lovely and rows very well too. Without boat building experience a furniture builder will also struggle with a craft like this. The Milwaukee area will have some local boat builders that will be able to help. Try to find someone on the river or that big puddle to the east. A few of the towns to the south of you, will also likely have some skilled folks, familiar with that particular boat or at least traditional lapstrake methods.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Philbrick, you should post your pictures here on this column. It may be that your boat isn't worth saving. It might not be that bad either so let's see the damage up close.
    PAR is right in suggesting you contact a small boat builder in your area for guidance or even help.
    I'm sorry to have confused you with that terminology, since it's clear you are up against a pretty steep learning curve.
    The truth is, if you need a mold to fix your boat, the damage may be too severe to pay someone to fix it, and the better solution would be to replace the whole boat.
    I'm assuming you wouldn't be up to fixing the boat yourself, or are you looking to learn how for the experience?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.