Looking for books about yacht design and construction

Discussion in 'Education' started by flipper, Nov 12, 2005.

1. flipper

flipper Junior Member

I wanted to know is there any posibilty to read books about this theme on internet:. I'm living in Latvia (Eastern Europe)! It is realy big problem to get this kind of information because our libraries doesnt contain information about it, maybee somebody have some sugestions. I'm in 11th form and i'm working on my scientific job about yachts and it is almost imposible to do it without any theoretical justification. It's realy important, could anybody help!?

Thanks!

John

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

John: unfortunately books about yachtdesign and construction are often not only difficult to get but when, also quite expensive.
    Up to Brussels to set up a technical library for the new memebers of the EU. Can't you get books from the National Library?

3. flipper

flipper Junior Member

Thanks, i will go to library and check out it but when i was last time they didn't had an access to any of scientific internet library. They told me that our country can't afford it. Maybee some other ideas.

4. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Try to find out who is responsible for the procurement of such books as you require. I will try to find out how the procurement issue looks like. I know some politicians that sit in Brussels. No promise, but I will check.

Check this forum and make a list of books that you might find of interest, and find some more students that are interested.
    Do you have any shipyards that build actual yachts?

Looking forward for your reply.

5. flipper

flipper Junior Member

Hi! D'ARTOIS, you are really good helpmat but now back to the issue. I will check out forum but with thoes students are problem. At the moment there isn't any other who would like to join me because this isn't popular thing in our country, at least not any more...Thats why there is problem with technical literature about YACHTS.To understand my stupid situation you should check out my countrys history...
    what should I do when the list is ready?

6. flipper

flipper Junior Member

some Books what I need:

>Principles of Yacht design by Lars Larson, Rolf Eliasson
    >Boat strenght by Dave Gerr
    >Understanding boat design by Ted Brewer
    >Skane is elements of yacht design or Elements of yacht design by Norman L.Skane
    >Yacht design explained: A sailor's Guide the principles and practice of design by Steve killing and Doug Hunter
    >Yacht design and planing by howard Chapelle
    >Sailing yacht design: theory by Andrew Cloughton, John Wellicome and Ajit Shenoi

If there is some way I could get them I would be very happy and grateful D'ARTOIS.

Yes, about thoes shipyards. Yes we have few shipyards that are building yachts, most of them are repairing yachts, not building. One of my friend promised that he will check out what he can find from his friends who is having conection with ships and shipyard. If i get book's from him thoes won't be thoes what I noticed in my list.And there always is posability that I won't get books from him. How i told, I would be very glad if you could help me with book supply.

7. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Flipper, there are some books available in the Russian language. Would that be helpfuls also?
    You should actually discuss this matter wth somebody from the navy who is responsible for training and education of cadets.

The Russian issue might not be so popular, but this is the shortest way to get something.

You require a good 2000,- US$ value on books - probably less - but fact is that they are expensive and Brussels is always looking for some public instantion than for a private person.

I will check this and revert to you as soon I have more information.

8. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Flipper
    Have you tried ebay or amazon.com, I have purchased most of the books on your list for 10-30 us$ apeice.

9. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Chandler, 20/30 US$ is a students income for a month in those countries, what they need is a library where they can go to.

Flipper, today I will write something about to Brussels. It does not mean that something will be done right away - such politicinas do not excist, but I'll do my best.

I will keep you ahead.

10. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Well it was better than the $2000 US you suggested.

11. flipper

flipper Junior Member

books in amazon.com is really expencive if you are not living in US( + shipment) but in Latvia and I need a lot of books about this theme. D'Artois, if you will get thoes books is there any way you could send me thoes books? I'm waiting but I don't have much time...

12. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

As I said, I personally cannot send those books, for a number of reasons, but you have a Latvian representative at Brussels and my contactman will approach him and ask him if somesthing can be arranged, not for you personally, but maybe you national Library might have a donation. That's the only thin I can do.

13. flipper

flipper Junior Member

Flipper

That would be great!

14. flipper

flipper Junior Member

Flipper

How long could it take?

15. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

No idea, we deal with people that don't know the value of time - you have to be patient, I am working on it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.