Balanced rudder design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BarryG, Jun 15, 2008.

1. BarryG

BarryG BarryG

Can anyone tell me what proportion of a balanced rudder is (typically) foreward of the rudder stock?

2. swanncat

swanncat New Member

15% of total surface area. Brett

3. BarryG

BarryG BarryG

Balanced Rudder

Thanks very much for the reply. As a result of posting the query the site immeditely threw up some previous discussions on the subject, which essentially confirm your reply.
    Regrds
    Barry

4. kengrome

kengrome Senior Member

I've been told 18% of chord length. I'm sure it depends upon the actual shape of the rudder if you want it truly optimized, but it seems these number are 'close enough' for most applications.

5. diwebb

diwebb Senior Member

There is no hard and fast rule, as always it depends on the situation. Can you give a bit more info such as what type of boat is the rudder going on, sail or powewr? Is it a high performance boat or do you just want to reduce the helm forces? For a power boat where feel is not too important the 15 to 18% suggested would be ok, if for a sailboat then I would suggest less so that some feel is maintained in the helm, somewhere between 10 and 14% usually suffices.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.