Looking for an old boat with modern style hull

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Wellington, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Wellington

Wellington Junior Member

2. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

This design trend was stimulated by oceanic downwind races, and firstly the Vendée Globe in the 90´s with JM Finot designs. But the design often quoted as the real precursor is Pen Duick V designed by Michel Bigoin and Daniel Duvergie for Éric Tabarly for the 1969 singlehanded Pacific race (San Francisco -Tokyo) organised by the Slocum society, a downwind race that he easily won. This boat also initiated the water ballasts system. I don't know if previous 1969 design can be put on this line.
    Fichier:Pen-Duick-5.jpg — Wikipédia https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:pen-Duick-5.jpg

3. Wellington

Wellington Junior Member

well you obviously know your history but i'm doubting i will be able to find a cheap boat to buy with this hull shape. thanks for the info.

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

It all depends on the budget that you have available.
    And the minimum size of boat that you want.

As an illustration, you could probably pick up an old Mini-Transat sailing boat for not a lot of $$'s - they had one basic rule re 6.5 m. LOA to encourage innovation and they certainly evolved with some amazing ideas.
    Here is a link to the early POGO Mini-Transat boats - later boats became more extreme.
    Pogo 1 - Chantier naval POGO STRUCTURES http://www.pogostructures.com/en/fiche-bateau/pogo-1/

5. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Among more production oriented craft, I seem to recall Hylas running with this ball as fast or faster than most.

6. Wellington

Wellington Junior Member

Yes those boats look nice and about the right size too but are more designed for racing. Do you know if there are any sailboats like this of this size which have a hard shell over the seating area at the back? (please excuse my lack of nautical terminology as i'm not sure what you would call a sailboat of this description). I guess i'm looking for a triangular hull motorsailer that has the helm at the very back of the boat under a fiberglass cover. I would also like a boat that has a 3ft draft and 6ft of headroom. If you can think of any boats that fit this description please let me know. Thanks for the link. regards

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Hylas 44, first made in 1984

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wellington

Wellington Junior Member

9. Wellington

Wellington Junior Member

That is a very nice boat but i was thinking something around 30ft and with a hardtop cockpit literally right at the back edge so the skipper can steer the boat by the rudder.
    regards

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.