looking for advice up in Alaska

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Fire9inspec, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Fire9inspec

Fire9inspec New Member

Hello from Alaska...I have been running rivers in my Marathon Marine 18' with a 200 OptiMax inboard jet for the last three years before I decided to venture out into the salt water with it out of Whittier...(you know shrimping, salmon, and halibut)...problem incountered was sucking up weeds and reducing power...so I brought an older 26' Reinell for $1500 (prop) from my neighbor without an engine and just brought a used 305 with an OMC outdrive from an oldtimer for $400. Honestly, I do not have experience on the salt or with mechanics or with outdrives...therefore I asking for advice on whether or not the outdrive is recommended...I heard they have a problem shifting at low RPM...I can get a Penta volva too for next to nothing. In your experience, which is the better outdrive?

2. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

sterndrive

Dear Alaskan Fisherman,

Do yourself a favour and take the Volvo Penta........Reliable and strong.
    Good Luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.