Looking for advice on decent spray gun

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by canoe42, Jul 3, 2008.

1. canoe42

canoe42 Junior Member

Learning boat repair the right way

After thinking about repairing the canoe more carefully it seems doing it right is the way to go. I may be able to go out and buy a used canoe for less than it is going to cost me to fix this one, but what skills will I have learned? Unfortunately doing it right won’t happen this year. We are completely renovating our house ourselves. I’m talking about making the 4” stud walls into 6” walls, re-insulating, installing all new windows, building two decks and installing a new kitchen. That was last summer. This year we are installing two new full bathrooms, renovating three bedrooms and siding with cedar shingles. To say the least we are busy. The canoe does not leak so I might just repair the hole in the canoe with fiberglass cloth, sand and paint it this year and use as is, or maybe just fix the hole and use it without painting it, depending on how much free time I have. Will read the tips on painting here and see what trouble I can get myself into. Adult ed runs an auto body repair class every fall so may sign up for that in September. Class size is only 6 and you can bring in your own car to work on. So the gelcoat project gets put off until next summer and the Jon boat project the summer after that. As I said I’m retired and up for doing several projects I never had time for when I was working. If I need good advice on how to properly fix this canoe, and I will, I know where to get it.

Thanks,

Tom

2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

why ya need all that insulation in maine?,,haha,,,i thought i got away from that when i came down here,,,,,,,we need it down here to keep the houses COLD in the sum....year round,,hehe ;)
    if you dont wanna keep the canoe,,using it is o.k.,,,,,BUT...<theres always 1 of them....if you look,,,you can see glass behind them cracks,,,,,and if ya glass gets wet,,,,your next project gonna be BUILDING a canoe.,,,that gel is actually not there for looks,,,its there to protect your glass from the water.,,,like you said,,,if its just so you can get out in it,,,,,,pull off the loose stuff,,,sand,,,and fill the damned thing with bondo,,,but the flexing will pop the bondo off and crack,,,,but bondo cheap,,,do it every time before ya go out,,hehe,,,with a canoe,,,your choices are slim,,it kinda HAS to be done right cause of ALL the flexing,,so read up on painting,,,and we'll be here when its time to do it right,,hehe ;)