A mystery boat in the sticks....

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Acrobat, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Acrobat

Acrobat New Member

Found this little beauty out in the country. Some restorer or customization potential here... just not sure what it is. I've had this posted a few places for the experts to ponder... I can't find a picture of it or anyone who can positively ID it. When purchased the previous owner stated very adamantly that it was a 1959 Red Fish. I talked to him for a while trying to jog his memory and while he spoke fondly of it, he also used the terms, "Red Fin" and "Red Wing" to describe it. After looking a while.... it resembles a Red Fish... sorta. It also looks like about twenty other boats from it's era. Any help would be appreciated. It's potentially for sale... I can provide a bunch of pics. Oh, no emblems, numbers, placards, parts, title or other ID available. Kansas does not keep past registration numbers from what I can tell and I don't know what year it was last on the water. And it's been repainted... it does appear to have the original color pattern topside. Any and all opinions and knowledge is welcome. I'd love to see some literature on it and a picture of the original outfit and condition. Thanks ahead of time.

Attached Files:

2. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Well, not entirely mild.

Haven't got the vaguest idea, but I sure do love those tailfins....

3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

4. afrhydro

afrhydro Senior Member

hummm
    kinda looks like this one little bit
    i just did a resto on it
    plus modified the bottom to a steped transom with a pad
    this one was called
    a saphire see vee i think

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

6. juiceclark

juiceclark Previous Member

When I'm done building my 50 foot sportfish I'm, for sure, going to restore on ol' 1950s fiberglass, finned boat for a dinghy to put on the bow. I'm partial toward the 1957 Herter's Duofoil Flying Fish...but there are a lot of interesting boats from that golden age of mechanical design. The gang at Fiberglassics.com is always helpful to identify and inform about these classics.

Tony in Sw FL

7. Ike

Ike Senior Member

It has the same look as the Glastron because Robert Hammond designed both the Redfish and the early Glastrons as well as the Hammond boats. If you go to http://fiberglassics.com/ look at the menu at the top click on Boat Info and select Brochures & literature. Scroll down to Redfish. Click on Redfish and It gives you the history of both the Redfish and Glastron lines. On the left is a box, one of the selections in the box is brochures. Pick it. Look for 1959. Your boat looks a lot like the 1959 15 foot Shark Capri without the windshield.

8. Acrobat

Acrobat New Member

So close...!

Thanks for the info. I have this boat on fiberglassics.com, I posted it the same day as this. I did not know, however, about the brochures... extremely helpful, especially with my other boat and with a family project. The Shark is about the closest match I've seen so far, but is a little more shaped and stylized than mine. It has the same coloration and some of the exact same features. I'm pretty excited to find something definite. Thanks so much for the lead!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.