Newbie working with an existing design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by salty__dog, Dec 23, 2003.

1. salty__dog

salty__dog New Member

I've found a design I like. Chapelle's 45' workboat from 'Boatbuilding'. I'd like to draw the boat in CAD and have access to a computer running Autocad 2004. After drawing the basic boat (single chine, deadrise) I'd like to pull off the panel shapes and put together a model. Can anyone point me to software for laying out the panels?

Afterwards I'd like to learn how to determine scantlings, plate thickness, longitudinal reinforcement etc. for a given material ie. aluminum, steel. If I can work my way through the above I'll takle hydrodynamics and propulsion.

I've been reading the forums and see there's a wealth of knowledge at hand. I'd like to learn some of this stuff and figure working through a project is the way forward. I'd appreciate any help to get me started.

Cheers, Greg

2. rjmac

rjmac Junior Member

Greg,

I am not sure where to begin, but if you are interested then these are the things that you will need to do:

Where to begin….?????

-----------------------------------------
    I've found a design I like. Chapelle's 45' workboat from 'Boatbuilding'.

If you found this in Boatbuilding then you need to contact the designer, he owns the design.

I'd like to draw the boat in CAD and have access to a computer running Autocad 2004.

I do not know what your background is…? I use AutoCAD 2000 and you will have to be at minimum a draftsman even with AutoCAD 2004, I was not aware that 2004 was out yet…..

After drawing the basic boat (single chine, deadrise) I'd like to pull off the panel shapes and put together a model. Can anyone point me to software for laying out the panels?

This is where the drafting/design skills come into play, these are things that you will have to develop, there are several CAD packages discussed in the software forum that could do this, pick one and go for it.

Afterwards I'd like to learn how to determine scantlings, plate thickness, longitudinal reinforcement etc. for a given material ie. aluminum, steel. If I can work my way through the above I'll takle hydrodynamics and propulsion.

This is an area where you need to have an understanding of engineering principals, plus there are several books out there that you should read. The ones that I reference to all the time are:

“Skene’s Elements of Yatch Design,” I have the 8th edition by Francis S. Kinney, this will walk you through a lot of the basic development processes. “Principles of Yatch Design,” I have the 2nd edition by Lars Larsson and Rolf E. Eliasson, this book will cover the same information but more polyester construction/design. If you are building a work boat then my dad swears by ferro-cement, I have not gone that way. Also the one book that I am looking forward to reading is, Dave Gerr's book "The elements of boat strength" Once you understand everything in these books, you will do well.

I've been reading the forums and see there's a wealth of knowledge at hand. I'd like to learn some of this stuff and figure working through a project is the way forward. I'd appreciate any help to get me started.

Last, there are a lot of guys on this forum that make their living in the marine industry and I feel very fortunate just to read about things that they are discussing. They seem to be very helpful but they also encourage one to do the work and they will guide you in that regard.

Regards,
    Bob

3. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Salty,
    One of the most difficult things to do on a computer is to put together an _accurate_ model of a hand-drawn design. It is not so hard to draw something that has the same "feel", but to get it accurate to within a 1/4-inch or so is nearly impossible.
    fortunately, that kind of accuracy is not usually necessary to produce a boat with all the characteristics of the original, so don't waste your time trying to match to the nearest 1/16th of an inch ;-)
    Start the project slowly, one step at a time, and enjoy it.
    Steve

4. salty__dog

salty__dog New Member

Thanks for the fast response guys! It's appreciated.

Bob wrote:
    >I do not know what your background is…? I use AutoCAD 2000 and you will have to be at minimum a draftsman...

I've tinkered with CAD (Autosketch, Generic Cad, Acad r13) but certainly have a ways to go.

I've recently looked at Hulls and Carene but am more comfortable drawing in Acad. Searched for "Unfold" but to no avail.

I ordered Rable's 'Ship and Aircraft Fairing and Development' based on recommendations of this text elsewhere on this board. Perhaps a manual method will seem more intuitive.

Regarding Skene's. I all but slept with that text while designing a kayak a number of years ago. I was pleased with the result and the book gets the credit. I'll look for the other you recommended.

And Steve, I've got nothing but time for this project ;-)

Cheers, Greg

5. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Greg, "I've got nothing but time for this project...."
    You STILL won't have enough ;-)
    Steve

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Boatbuilder/Designer

Is there a market for a simple hull design program including unfolding but no checking of "developabality" that runs inside AutoCAd or IntelliCAD?
    We have used our own routines (small programs) for about 10 years now.

Raggi_Thor@hotmail.com

7. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

Salty,
    I have "Boatbuilding" allso and have probably read the ink off the first copy (I'm on my second copy) As far as Getting a hull simular to those rather it be high or low chine, into CAD it should be very easy. The east coast hulls you refer to are I would say easily developable with the exception of the forfoot area. But I think with a competant fabricator you could use the "staving" method described in the book, The bottom plate would work out to no more than 3/16" at the most. When the run starts to twist up to meet the stem you could use 3-4" wide bar stock and twist each into the shape needed.
    As far as books Yes... Do get Gerr's book!
    Sail has a good point. I would not worry about Exact replication, rather get out the paper and a stick and work from the offsets most of those lines have. You could build one of those deadrises upside down in short order.
    In my opinion I would not invest the time to develop plate patterns. I would tackle it like so
    1 Draw up what you want... Weights and all the other calc's that go along with it!
    2 Loft it full size and pick up the frames from the loft
    3 frame it up upside down on a strongback
    4 use masonite or other cheap sheet to pattern out your plate.
    I have allways had it in my mind these hulls are one of the easiest to build.
    You may consider having a professional review your work before you start the torch. Because of the easy hull form shouldent cost you a fortune.
    Or consider posting your progress for input from the pro's here.
    Best of luck 8Knots

8. salty__dog

salty__dog New Member

9. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Boatbuilder/Designer

10. 8knots

Salty,
    If you can get you hands on a copy GET this book! It has a fantastic collection of the sort of lines you are looking for. If you would like I could look up your boat in my copy of Chappelle and cross in to Suchers book and scan some options for you! This may give you a few more places to start.
    Suchers book has lots of fantail launches from 26'-60' He has a 28' that I have allways thought would scale up nicely. Check out my gallery and see
    "40' of slow" She is based loosly on this vessel.
    As far as stick and sheet stuff I'm afraid I cant help you there!
    Good luck 8

Thanks to our Guest on the insights into B-spline design!

11. 8knots

12. salty__dog

salty__dog New Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.