Help Required please

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by AlansToy, Jul 28, 2007.

1. AlansToy

AlansToy Junior Member

Hi to you all.
    Please can someone advise on the best way to power a Sunseeker 34 Hawlk approx 1988 model.It had two V8 petrols in before which were on legs but have been removed and of no use now,most parts missing or corroded.
    I have access to some large diesel engines and was considering a large single engine approx 300hp minimum but have no drive unit or gearbox.
    Also how can i find the correct prop and gear ratio for the diesel engine when fitted and which would be more practical, leg,jet surface drive or other.I have access to full machine shop facilaties if it was practical to machine and fabricate surface drive.
    Any imformation will be appreciated thanks Alan.

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Alan,

Ask http://www.lancingmarine.com/ for their catalogues, They have all types of options including surface drives. Where are you in the UK?

Good luck,

Pericles

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What are the engines? and how heavy are they? RPM etc?

What do you estimate you total weight, engines, fuel etc?

4. Poida

Poida Senior Member

C'mon Frosty your just an internal circlip for God's sake. You just need to know what internal diameter you can fix yourself in.

Poida

5. AlansToy

AlansToy Junior Member

Many thanks for your replies i am in kent. I will let you know size, weight and make of engine when i get to see what is available as it coming from a fire pump which has only been used as emergency use only and only been run on fire drills.
    Is there any make which should be avoided.

6. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Seriously Alan, talk to Lancing Marine. They will tell you what is feasible.

Pericles

7. motorvator

motorvator New Member

Alan,

If it's a 1988 boat and 34' then what you have is an XPS34. These were the forerunners to the portofino and hawk.

Same as what I have actually.

I bought the boat earlier this year as it's a don shead design and near an exact match hull wise to my revenger san marino 70+ mph on 502 petrol.

They were normally powered by aqad40a or b on volvo 280 sterndrives. 125 or 165hp each engine depending on version. some very late models had the 41b which gave 200 hp.

Mine runs the 40b 1.95 - 1 ratio and a6 duoprops and reaches 32 knots or did until last weekend when I overheated an engine terminally. I'm pulling both out at the moment for a total refresh and expect to see a significant increas as the engines were getting tired.

If you talk to Coastal rides they could sort you out cheap secondhand drives etc. They'll also sort you totally with props recomendations etc.

http://www.coastalrides.co.uk/

No tapping them for engines though until I've sorted mine:p

If you made your mind up to go surface drive then lancing marine are the boys. I wouldn't be too sure how effective they would be in dual set up though as the boat has an extreme deep v and capable of running very high on it.

Anything else I can help with let me know.

Motorvator

Attached Files:

8. AlansToy

AlansToy Junior Member

Not XPS 34

Hi thanks for the reply but have still not identified the boat, the person who new the history of the boat who i have been trying to contact has passed away I cant find any names or numbers anywhere, all i know is that it is 36 foot in length and only 7 foot six inches beam and was fitted with two V8 small block petrol engines. If someone could identify it would be a great help. I have had a look on the lancing Marine site and it seems to have everthing i did hope to see them at the boat show but thy were not there. Thanks again Alan

Attached Files:

9. motorvator

motorvator New Member

Not an XPS indeed and more to the point not a Sunseeker that I can see either. 1988 if right doesn't show a model like this. Al boats were being designed by Don Shead at the time and that doesn't look remotely like one of his.

From the pic I don't think that's a british boat at all but you need to give more pics to stand a chance of anyone recognising it.

What made you think Sunseeker in the first place.

A thought is that it is actually a Poole Powerboats import. The forerunner to Sunseeker in the first place.

10. AlansToy

AlansToy Junior Member

Pics at last

I have at last got the boat moved and got some pics, it weights 3200kg with the legs missing and only one of the small block V8s that were fitted to it on board. Its 36 foot long and a 7 foot six inch beem.
    Any idear what make it is please.
    Regards Alan

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.