looking for a modern-classical sailboat design to build

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by luizebs, Nov 6, 2009.

1. frank smith

frank smith Senior Member

2 months to clean a boat shed ? Have you been drinking dear boy ?

2. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

luizebs,
    Why not consider the 26 foot Thunderbird. It is a great sailer and is very popular in many places around the world.

www.thunderbirdsailing.org

3. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

A 3000 pound, 28' boat similar to the sketches I posted above will require 350-400 man hours just to complete the design.

Construction hours for a finely finished 3000 pound boat will range from 750 (very good going with highly experienced and fast people) to 1875 for super fussy and intricate construction (cold-molded multi-layer lamination) to the highest yacht levels.

Which is why folks go and buy a http://www.classic-boats.com/tofinou-95m-page-1.php

4. frank smith

More of your same ignorance ,. Or maybe you are just haveing fun , Childish fun of an old man . Or maybe you are French .

5. frank smith

He has given no indication of which design he would like to build , so who can say . This is all very nebulous at this point , is useful only for arguments , and I am to old to for that.

Just out of curiosity , does any one know how long it took to build a Hinkley
    Southwester at the peak of production .

6. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Hinckley Sou'Wester 42' = 9500 MH
    Hinckley Sou'Wester 51' = 15,500 MH

1 person likes this.
  7. frank smith

such a busy man . Where do you get the time to bother with me? :p

8. frank smith

[​IMG]

Richard , you look marvelous .

9. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I agree with this assessment. The carpenter are use to square construction and hadling classical joint work.
    The boat builder need to have a wide spectrum od knoweldge in beveling, unusual shape, and sometime steaming, or laminating.
    As for the mast in Brazil? wood absolutly.
    As for Frank Smith, what the beef? You seams to have a problem with opinion from professional. Your answer was wrong. Just explain your point of view, don't dimiss and run away. You have opinions we respect them.
    Would you like to have the picture of a bird everytime you post? Of course not. So don't do it.
    Cheers
    Daniel

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  10. frank smith

Daniel , No beef , I just find Richards manner to a little rude . He is also ignorant as to what a real carpenter dose and can do . Lets demystify this boat building stuff and get real. Regular people have been designing and building boats for thousands of years . This is is not a new or overly complext craft . There are a bunch of people out there doing it right now . If I decide to design and build a boat it might be a disaster , but then it might be a total success.

Now what about this thread ? Does it make any sense at all ? The guy might want to build a plywood sharpie or a cold molded high end beauty . What ?

Regards Frank

11. frank smith

Daniel, I shall put the question to you. How long would it take for a shop to get ready to build a thirty foot boat ? I'll bet that right now in Maine it would take
    about two hours . Is that the right answer or, am I wrong . Or am I being a inane turkey.

Regards Frank

12. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Richard is a consumate professional, who deal with carpenters and boat builder, since he is working with both trade.
    His realisation speak for themself, and gave him the right to his opinion.
    I am by trade what we call, beside a naval architect, a marine carpenter (with a liscense) so I know what he is talking about. It is not derogative, it is the result of his experience and knoweldge.
    And last about Richard, he tell what he think, engage with him a constructive discussion. He knows a lot, and when doesn't know he ask.
    Try, it worth it.
    Cheers
    Daniel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.