Questions For Moth Sailors

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by dalebirrell, Nov 26, 2009.

1. dalebirrell

dalebirrell Junior Member

For my final year project at uni I am currently planning to write a VPP for a foiling moth. however I don't sail one, and don't know anyone who does..

At what ride height would you configure your centreboard lifting foil's neutral flap angle to be?

And does this change depending on the wind speed?

And finally would it be appropriate to assume that the whole lifting foil section is parallel to the hull at the centre board? If not does this change with wind speed?

Cheers

Dale

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I'm not a Moth sailor but have collected a lot of info on the Foiler Moth- some of it may help you:
    1) The Foiling Guide by Adam May: http://www.int-moth.org.uk/Worddocs/Foiler Sailing Guide1_Intro.pdf

2) "Hydrofoils-Design Build Fly" by Ray Vellinga-best hydrofoil design manual available with a section on design of the Moth.

3) Bill Beaver's paper on Foiler Moth design:

Attached Files:

3. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Join Sailing Anarchy and in the Dinghy Anarchy forum there are a lot of Moth Sailors, designers and serious engineering talent.

--
    Bill

4. dalebirrell

dalebirrell Junior Member

thanks to both, much appreciation

dale

5. bistros

bistros Previous Member

Dale:

Keep checking back at Sailing Anarchy - and explaining where you are located is a good idea. The site has members worldwide, and you can't expect most folks to search on Strathclyde (like I did).

The site is frequented by a lot of good folks, and some annoying knobs as well. The "F-Off Newb" thing is a tradition (of sorts) so don't take offense.

There are one hell of a lot of great Moth developers in the UK, and given the tiny size of the country (by Canadian standards) you should be able to connect with some and get hands on with a variety of Moths.

--
    Bill

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.