Looking for a Mentor!

Discussion in 'Projects & Proposals' started by SammieJ, Oct 1, 2006.

1. SammieJ

SammieJ New Member

I'm trying to design a 55ft monohull fast cruising yacht along the lines of Vallicelli/Farr - clean lines, modern & stylish. Although it's a boat I want for myself, I would like it to be worthy of ongoing manufacture and the design therefore needs to comply with the relevant ISO standards.

The idea is to pull a lot of the ideas from modern, stylish yachts for the design, and then to set up a yard (with possible ongoing manufacturing capabilities) in a low labour cost country such as Indonesia (I've been there to look at boat building possibilities) or India/China (no experience whatsoever as yet). I've also arranged to go to IBEX in Miami in November.

To date, I have been working with Freeship and Rhino (minus the marine upgrades) and have been studying Larsson & Eliasson's Principles of Yacht design, and athough I understand the maths (in principle), I feel I'm struggling with what to do in which order. I have managed to prepare an outline hull design, have specific ideas about the deck/exterior and have begun to research components such as hardware.

I would be very grateful if someone would take me under their wing and give me a steer at each point in the process. I'm not asking for you to do the work for me, but to be a mentor; someone that I can bounce things off as I progress??

Any takers?

Thanks
    Sam

2. CORMERAN

CORMERAN Junior Member

Mentor

To Sammie:

The list of people eager to assist you seems a little short.
    Send me an E - mail, listing your budget and time line.
    Then maybe we can help..............

Cheers !

3. YDS

YDS YDS

Hi Sam

Hi Sam,:D
    interesting project, I'm not a naval architect, I'm only an architect/designer, I work in product and trasportation design fields. So if you want to talk about style, write me.

Fjta

PS search on forum for "vela verde" or "catamaran", you'll see some of my ideas

bye bye:)