PKBOATPLANS K-28 and K-8500

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by PHTCA, Aug 5, 2013.

1. PHTCA

PHTCA Junior Member

Hi,
    I am searching to build a good boat to offshore the caribbean and costal cruiser. I have decided to build a TRIMARAN. I know about the Buccaneer 28/33, the SCARAB and others good boats.
    But, as i know it will take me a lot of money and a lot of time, maybe 2 to 5 years if i am lucky, i also have decide tol build a simplest boat first.
    So, i am searched around catamaran plans, good models like bora bora 28, coral sea 25, and others including scarab fish and chips, but, i found other.
    I found the PK boats design, www.pkboatplans.com and found 2 excelent model to build as first boat, the K-28 and K-8500, both with around 1300 Kg and appear to be simple, just 1 hull with a top and a keel.
    What do you think about these boats, built, problems, etc?

MP.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I couldn't find them on the site. Can you provide a more concise link ?

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Glory, Glory, Alleluia, it works :)

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

6. PHTCA

PHTCA Junior Member

Yes, they are the boats. I have time reading about 20-35ft multihull, trimaran and catamaran. Good boats, and my final goal is to build a stable 33 (Or bigger) trimaran. But, 3 hulls, more individuals components, etc, today, to complex to start. So, searching for a monohull, to learn 120% sailing technique to enjoy my tri in the future, i found these SMALL, but enought to daysailing and overnight camping, even light offshore and coastal cruiser GOODLOOKING boat, i found these boats, K-28 and K8500. As i have experience in FiberGlass (NOt boat) and where i live is cheaper Fg than marine wood (and labor is around 1000 USD Month), so, my first and only one choice is FIBERGLASS.
    In the PK website you can find beautifull boats, Fiberglass, aluminium or wood, whatever you want.
    K-28 is more RACING style, while K8500 more like cruiser boat. I know there are outthere other good and proven boats monohull, but, i want to know about these PK Boats.
    28 Ft is not a big boat to serius offshore, but is enought small boat to think is the best option for a small boat with performance.
    I have NOT found pictures about these boats built, but, you can google 15 meter class boat and can find a lot of other models, bigger, but, the look is the same.
    I know these boats due the keel are NOT becheables, and in these points, fail again catamarana, but, damm, aristocratic yath.
    Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86A26owjfw0 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0LDjmqrRw and maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-PUiUoXC2A

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Lots of people fall in 'love' with a shape of a boat - I cant figure out what the hell you would do with these designs myself.

If you are into pure racing, you really wouldn't be competitive in these boats. Its much better to build a "one design" boat for fun competition.

For such a huge project, with a boat that will stay in the water and incur mooring fees, you cant even comfortably stay out for days on the water.

You can learn to sail on much smaller, easy to transport boats, or build designs that at least you can actually live in, and do some significant trips.

Look at the "accommodation" diagram. Its like a coffin from my point of view.

Attached Files:

8. PHTCA

PHTCA Junior Member

RW, hehehe, yes, the love of the mans for a rare boats is like to buy a big house, with 50 rooms, 6 sanitary, hely-port, 2 pools, etc, married with MISS USA and use one small lamborghini to go to work, at New York streets. I know these are small boats, even these are unusefull boats too, just to go to sailing with no space, no room, no big crew, etc, but, look these pictures, http://www.8mr.org.uk/ and if look like these, i will be happy http://www.asqma.com/images/Classic/13.jpg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.