Looking for a design or designer

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lizbet, Jan 23, 2010.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well,

after re- reading the requirements above, I have my doubts that there is such boat design on the market.

5 People sleeping aft of midships in sea bunks, a wheelhouse and a center cockpit, etc.

Ted Brewer has a 60ft, three masted schooner that could be modified imho.

[​IMG]

and a 60ft Aluminium design which comes even closer. But ALU (and why not?)

[​IMG]

2. austinsteele

austinsteele New Member

Liz,
    Mike Johns is on the members' list. I noticed a drawing in his gallery that seemed to be along the lines you were looking for, that's why I mentioned him.
    Frank

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

They are in contact Austin!

4. CTMD

CTMD Naval Architect

Try also Roger Hill in NZ. While he's best know for his cats he could draw this boat in his sleep for you.

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Lizbet
    Can I ask where in Oz you are?
    Shame you are not interested in Aluminium. There is a yacht here in Hobart which was for sale for some time (I'm assuming it still is...) that was specifically built to make the kind of expeditions your are talking about

http://www.blizzardexpeditions.com/

6. Lizbet

Lizbet New Member

Hello everyone
    Thank you all very much for the trouble you have gone to I have a lot of information now to digest.

Will Alilson
    Mornington Peninsular Red Hill, I visit Hobart in summer as I have relatives there and I love the sailing in Tas. I looked at Blizzard, thanks anyway.
    Mike Johns is also there, I met with him in the weekend I am in Hobart now. It is a small world ! Whereabouts are you?

I have

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

You are in good hands! Although he might not design the boat in the end, he will lead you the right way!

Regards
    Richard

8. Willallison

I'm in Hobart too. And yes, I agree with Richard - Mike is the man....

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sorry Will!

It was´nt my intention to ignore you, or set you in a lower place!

Richard

10. Willallison

:D :D
    None taken Richard!
    If I were to receive an enquiry like this locally, Mike would be my 1st port of call too!

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

That makes the "adult" parts of this Forum so enjoyable. The real pro´s estimate each other right and do´nt fight for a crumb of cake. Though in this case the crumb might be a bit a bigger one. And this enquiry seems to be one of the few serious, is my impression from the very beginning. (and I informed Mike accordingly).

Regards
    Richard

12. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

There are a couple of people at the Aust. Maritime College in Launceston who might be able to offer some advice too. Martin Renilson and Neil Bose spring to mind, and there might be others who have been down to Antarctica themselves.

All the best,
    Leo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.