Looking for a cartop boat plan to fish in

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by scrouds, Jun 24, 2011.

1. scrouds

scrouds New Member

Hi, I was hoping you guys could possibly help me decide what would be a good boat to build. I want to make an inexpensive boat that can be hauled on top of my car and go fishing in local lakes, the indian river and mosquito lagoon flats, and possibly the the indian river proper. The last one can be left off if I'm reaching too much and I'll make that the focus of my second build.

First time building a boat, was looking at the stitch and glue designs mainly. I would just be paddling it where I needed to go. I was looking at some designs for pirogue and other flat bottomed canoes, but not sure if that's the best use. So any ideas? Any places I should be looking at to fill my head with info?

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I really like Mark Bowdidge's designs and the mushulu 12 or mangrove jack may be suitable for you. Most people who have built these are first time builders. Car toppable with some adaptation one of the boats detailed on the bowdidge website forum has been modified to suit. Mark is very helpful and will even take phone calls and respond to emails on weekends to help you keep going on your build.

http://www.bowdidgemarinedesigns.com/