Stanchion Repair

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Darce, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Darce

Darce Junior Member

I am looking for advice on the best way to repair a stanchion which has been pushed in through the deck.

I'm guessing cut through the upper skin and replace the core with a similar material before glassing top and bottom.

craapscii image below

2. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

You pretty much got it,but if there is core in there replace it with solid glass,not more of the same as there should not be core there in the first place.There may not be core there but the glass where the top and bottom skins come together may be too thin in which case you will need to beef up the laminate on the inside.I will usually make up big backing plates for the inside out of 3/16" 6061-T6 alum or G10 and if there are no raised bosses on the top i will also instal an external plate to spread the point loading over a bigger area.
    Steve.

3. Darce

Darce Junior Member

How many layups of glass would you recommend? It's for a 23' 1/4 tonner IOR style yacht.