Looking for a 28' ish Glass outboard trailered boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 79Rocket, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 79Rocket

79Rocket New Member

Hi all.. I am a noob to this but am very hands on. I am looking for a fibreglass boat pretty well much just popped out of the mold where I can complete the construction myself. I dont want to go down the path of building a mold etc as it is only for a once off build.. That factor as well as I have no experience with boat building.Though I have done lots of research. I am in Western Australia so if there is someone near me that can assist me with this would be appreciated.

Not sure if this is a wise step to make but I have always wanted to build my own boat but starting from scratch with a one off build seems too expensive.

The boat will be a sportfisher/dive boat so please keep this in mind..

Cheers
    Rocket.

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

In this market most manufacturers will probably be willing to sell you whatever you want. I would contact the manufacturers of the boats you like and check.

My thought though is that since you want to do this much work on a boat, you could probably find a hull you like and assume you will gut everything. Normally this is a bag idea since the cost benefit isn't there, but for you it might work.

3. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Like Stumble said, look for a used boat of that size and rebuild it the way you want. If all you really want is the hull, you should be able to find one for very little money or free and it may have some usable parts on it. I see boats like this for free frequently, the reason is the cost of getting it back on the water is normally much more than buying one that works. But if you want something built exactly the way you want it, this is lower cost method of doing it than buying a new hull.

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Check traffic regulations before entering this adventure. 28 ft boats are usually 10 ft wide and quite heavy. The trailer will be 10 m. long, do you really want to drag that along?