Looking at prices

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by Mikthestik, May 3, 2016.

1. Mikthestik

Mikthestik Junior Member

Seems to me that boat engines are stupidlly overpriced. As boats are an interest and i don't sail it does not affect me finacially but its not fair on those who do. i have spent a long time on the net trying to get prices all except yanmar seem to want to keep their prices secret. Based on my research it would seem that from a cost effective point of view first choice is an inboard deisel then a diesel outboard and last comes the sail drive. oppinions and or price lists would be appreciated

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You would have to define "cost effective" first.

3. Mikthestik

Mikthestik Junior Member

Yes I suppose it means different thing to different people. for me it means does the job reliably for the least effort and money. The cruising multi-hull arrived today. In it is mentioned the sonic outdrive leg. Go to Sillette.co.uk they make outdrives saildrives hydraulic sail drives etc as seperate units. This seems the perfect answer. Their sail drives seem to have a different sealing system and their outdrives don't make holes in the bottom of the boat but work on diesels in a deck well of a catamaran or equally well on its hull mik

4. chowdan

chowdan 1980 PAC41 Liveaboard

From someone who is on the market for a new engine, diesel or outboard based, prices are ridiculously high.

Beta diesels that are in my HP range are close to 9k, Yanmar, I have no clue because the dealers locally aren't giving me pricing. I can get a 15hp 4 stroke pro kicker outboard(4 blade prop, 2.42:1 gear ratio) with $200 mail in rebate from onlineoutboards for $3500.

I found Sole marine diesel dealer in Victoria BC selling a marinized Mitsubishi engines for $6300CAD(about $4800 USD), with transmission, cable harness and everything. THe only problem is that these engines no longer meet EPA standards, and penalties are quite big for bringing them back into the USA(from what i've seen). Granted that would be if you came in and claimed it. It wouldn't be a problem if you didn't claim it and they didn't find it(though that is a big risk itself)

5. Mikthestik

Mikthestik Junior Member

My yanmar pricelist says £6562 for a 14hp inboard, and £6562 for a 14 hp sail drive I guess the exchange rate is about 2$ to the £ mik

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.