Looking at a Catalina 30

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by infy, Jan 29, 2019.

1. infy

infy Junior Member

This is definitely going to be a project boat and should be priced as such. The A-4 engine needs to be replaced due to compression readings of 0, 30%, 50%, and 50%.. I haven't had a survey done yet - today I went out just to take a look at it.

The inside was wet and it's obvious all the windows and hatch are leaking. I did see something more concerning on the wood panels next to the floor. There's a horizontal stain and it almost looks like it had water sitting inside. I'd imagine the engine and some electronics were submerged?

Attached photos. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

I an't got time for that but YMMV.

3. tpenfield

tpenfield Senior Member

I think if you are looking for a project, you have arrived. I agree with your theory of water sitting in the cabin. You will have to decide if it all makes sense for you to take on.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.