Looking at a boat in rough shape

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by durwoodghib, Jul 5, 2007.

1. USCGRET/E8

USCGRET/E8 Senior Chief

2. USCGRET/E8

USCGRET/E8 Senior Chief

Good Deal

3. durwoodghib

durwoodghib Junior Member

Believe it or not I taught the sailing merit badge at the local Boy Scout camp but that was back in 95 and I haven't done anything at all since Hence why I consider myself a newbie. However, just for comparability the boat(s) we used at the camp were little single sail 8ft. sun fishes, at least I think that was what they were called. Other than the size differences am I looking at about the same as far as the reaction with gust or heavier winds?

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I recommend going outside and setting up a 2 x 6 or wider plank about ten feet long across two saw horses and progressively feeding the sail over the flat surface of the plank, scrubbing against the plank with a car-washing brush and Tide and hot water, rinsing as you go, flipping, and repeating on the other side. This is a comfortable way to attack such a large area. Stains might require some carpet cleaer in a spray can--- rinse well.

Alan

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Naw. Your boat isn't that unstable. All daysailers without ballast are tender relative to heavier boats, but you must have almost six feet of beam--- the Sunfish might be under four feet wide. Big difference. I notice the mast is pretty tall----- you will heel when it gusts, but that's what sailing is all about.

6. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

I think you should try the boat as it is before you do anything.
    Flotation can be anything that is very light, like styrofoam or empty windscreen wiper solution bottles (don't know what you call it).

"hull layup" means the number and thickness of glass mat and rowing in the hull. I guess he means the boat is not very strong. If it's used for sheltered waters, you foot, a stone on a beach, and the rollers o the trailer will be the worst enemy.

7. durwoodghib

durwoodghib Junior Member

I really do appreciate all of the advice and I don't think I will get it into the water this year only because I do need to replace all of the rope, some of the clamps are worn, some of the rigging cables are not the greatest, and the trailer needs a lot of attention before it can be used, (new tires, lights, rollers, and hand winch to name a few things)...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.