looking at a 33 Black Fin combi hull

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by senile32nd, Apr 9, 2011.

1. senile32nd

senile32nd Junior Member

I found a unfinished 33' combi hull and looking at powering it with yanmar 360 hp deisels and zf pod drive systems. I am looking at putting a boat together that will take a beating over time and be as fuel friendly as possible. Trying to build an off shore fishing boat for east coast Fl. I am new to this and am being helped by friends who both captain vessels. 61 ft viking and 40 some foot boat.

Trying to plan a build that will allow me to get a better boat than if i just purchased someone repowered or used blackfin. Not just a pipe dream i hope!!

just looking for suggestions and any input

2. senile32nd

senile32nd Junior Member

Anyone have any input? is this a sound plan i am unable to conact a dealer yet for their input as i am currently deployed in the stan so i was hoping to either get a yeah sounds great or ( ) would be a better solution.

thanks in advance

3. Bglad

Bglad Senior Member

The economy of it won't justify the expense but it will perform well and I think you will find you won't need 360 hp diesels. Two reasons not to put the bigger engines. The ZF/Zeus/IPS systems give greater efficiency than straight inboards and if you don't overpower the boat you will be less likely to break it.

4. senile32nd

senile32nd Junior Member

I wonder how low hp rating i could go and not be disappointed with the performance?

5. senile32nd

senile32nd Junior Member

thank you for the response btw, i am gonna try to save as much money as possible while doing it right the first time.

6. Bglad

Bglad Senior Member

What you will find is that the engine/drive manufacturers are closely managing the specs on these projects to insure installations are successful. If I had to guess the Combi would get the same performance as the 375hp Cat inboards with somewhere around 275 to 300 hp in a pod drive.

Since these are relatively new systems it will be hard for you to pinch pennies on the gear. When you are done you will recover the value of your expense in quality use. You will have essentially created a one off vessel that the market won't appreciate reducing your chance of recovering much of your expenditures if you need to sell it.

7. senile32nd

senile32nd Junior Member

Wow well as long as i plan to keep it for a very long time then the weight and lower hp would be worth it besides the easier use of pod drives. something to think about. thanks for the info!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.