Look at What Happens to Peaceful Protesters in the States

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by CatBuilder, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

I just can't believe what I saw!

I'm sorry to have to say that, but people in those 12 states are truly screwed. When your State becomes a bully like this with you, and for basically ridiculous and non-existant reasons, you know there's something terribly wrong. It is called Regime.

Here in Italy we have had several attempts by Berlusconi government to introduce law on audio and video recording similar to those Illinois have (for reasons which regarded him personally and the trials he is involved in) but the public outrage was so strong that he has had to renounce each time. There were massive rallies on the streets and heated discussions in every single media. People have fought for their rights, and have ultimately won.
    I just don't understand how could a Law like that pass and yet exist in Illinois without provoking a public reaction?

Freedom is something you have to fight for day by day. Any day you don't fight for your freedom a piece of it will be taken away from you.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

That video is outdated. The charges against the guy were dropped, after the Illinois State Supreme Court declared the law unconstitutional.

And I have no doubt the result will be the same, when similar laws are challenged in other states. If not, they'll be invalidated as soon as one is taken to the US Supreme Court.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

`post a link Troy

4. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

It's in the comments under the video.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

ya I read that and its mind bending how much they are putting into the crackdown. Denver claims to have spent about 1m but are getting 6m in compensation from the Feds. Kinda makes you wonder who's palms there greasing.

There was something in the news yesterday about the UN investigating all the police violence towards the protesters, I'll see if I can't look it up for you,.

Troy
    my bad, I seldom read the comments cause there usually just uninformed opinion anyway. But in this case.............

7. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Oh please... "images of unparallelled police brutality"??:p:p:p

Whoever wrote that hasn't been around much. I remember people dying during anti-war demonstrations, and civil rights marchers having dogs turned loose on them. You don't even have to go that far back... look what happened in MacArthur Park in 2007, when police dispersing May Day rallies even beat the crap out of TV news crews.

What happened to those Occupy demonstrators is downright tame in comparison.

8. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

The Democratic Convention in Chicago in 1968 was a doozy!
    And the killing of students at Kent State University makes the current violence pale into insignificance.
    But who knows how much the State is willing to ramp up the violence these days?

"Nobody who lived through the '50s thought the '60s could've existed. So there's always hope." - Tuli Kupferberg.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  9. Boston

Boston Previous Member

still looking but this one is definitely worth looking into
    senate eliminates the bill of rights
    http://newsvoice.se/2011/12/02/us-senate-declares-the-entire-usa-to-be-a-battleground/

found it

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...y_n_1125860.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

while I'm at
    senate votes to end due process rights
    http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-process-rights/249388/#.TtnSV3A2UZc.facebook

I'd agree Troy that the present level of violence is only the tip of the iceberg, but that might have something to do with the recall process having already been started against governors and mayors who are ultimately responsible for the actions of the thugs they hire. I've volunteered to collect signatures as have thousands of fellow protesters. We won't win all the recall elections but we're damn straight going to win some of them. Will it help curb the violence, maybe not, but it will send a message.

Unfortunately most of the country is still apathetic. But eventually, they're going to wake up and discover, they have no rights just cogs in the machine.

10. Leo Lazauskas

The various movements are going to have to be 10 times, perhaps more than 100 times larger than now to have any real impact.

Think of the huge marches around the world against involvement in the Iraq War. They had no effect on many governments who gave their people no chance to vote on the issue in referenda or other plebiscites, but just sent in troops to support the USA.

What's more, think of how many governments allowed the US to use their countries for rendition to circumvent US laws on torture during interrogation. Creepy times, Boston!

11. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Soon the US will be bankrupt , its adventurous military crusades discredited and its influence wilted.

I would think that now is the time to get the change ball rolling so that when this crash happens ,a decent response can be offered to citizens .

12. Leo Lazauskas

Maybe the US will start a war with Iran on credit? ;)
    It's hard to know when Obama/Democrats and the Republicans are such ridiculous, lying war-mongers.

13. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

That wasn't only outside the USA. I remember trying to walk across town in Manhattan. It was jammed full of anti-war protesters protesting against the invasion of Iraq. You had to go more than 10 blocks out of the center of them to be able to pass through.

The US didn't listen to them either.

14. Leo Lazauskas

Just out of interest, how much bigger than the current "Occupiers" were in those crowds? 10 times? 100 times? More?
    As I said, it will take an enormous effort to change the status quo, and I can't see that happening for a long time if the current numbers hold.

15. Boston

Boston Previous Member

eventually the people will realize they've been sold out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.