Anyone using the Atlas 'spintite' and 'maxtite' fasteners in FRP panels?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by bntii, Aug 19, 2008.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I have a blind installation problem and need to find a threaded insert which will install into a 3/8" frp panel to accept a 5/16"-18 machine screw.
    I have been looking at the 'Atlas' series of threaded inserts manufactured by PennEngineering.

Anyone tried these?

2. mongo75

mongo75 Senior Member

In the helos I work on, we use "nutserts" which is basically a floating receptical that we glue into a honeycomb panel for blind fastening. You grind a hole, fill it with thickened epoxy and the nusert, and then tape over it to keep it from falling out while it dries. Unfortunately I don't know where we get them, but hopefully this can help. Also, if you can get behind it anyway, you can get a T nut from either a hardware store or hobby shop. You drill a hole, then put the thing behind the panel, and pull it through with the bolt. It has tiny barbs that keep it in place form spinning. Good luck!

3. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I've used the hardware store T-nuts on non-boat projects. Because the barbs won't puncture the fiberglass, I used a wood backing.

I've also drilled and tapped the 'glass itself on occassion.

4. JRL

JRL Im with stupid

We get ours from McMaster-Carr. Type in "Nut Certs" into the search bar and they'll be your only search result.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.