Long term survival boat ideas

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by mmutch, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

An american boater I met, retired from teaching in the middle east.
    He augmented, and made much more than his salary, by bootlegging in the "dry" political enviroment there.

He imported wood chips by Jack Daniels (shredded whiskey barrels) for BBQ or smokers, which was legal to import.
    He steeped the grain alcohol he distilled in the Jack Daniels wood chips, which gave it color and flavor.

He sold enough bootleg "whiskey" to buy a sailboat and retire on. :)

2. kvsgkvng

kvsgkvng Senior Member

Bragging, if he would sell consistently and covertly, someone would inform security. It is capital punishment offense in the Middle East. I bet he was not that stupid as distribute illegal alcohol in Middle Eastern hegemony.

The guy was bragging -- trust me I know.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Frosty,
    I agree with the listing in Thailand, presumably chartered in its past and in sorry need for replacement of standing and running rigging as well as sails and what else? - - - Several (15) years ago I helped to do a short leg in the delivery of a "Westerley Seranade 37" (a pommy production centre cockpit mono) and it looked quite clean and well maintained and seemed to handle very well indeed, - but appearances are deceptive for the rig collapsed and the engines were in need of maintenance and lots of TLC but a very nice boat... That was bought very cheaply...

Horses for courses and mine has been prepared for doldrums work in PNG waters... The pricing has to start somewhere, so let serious counter offers come forward, when the potential buyer has money ready...

Mast. standing rigging and, (2x 45 square metre hanked on flat cut genoa), sails c/w running rigging, - - and a 60 L/H-RO-watermaker, - - all up for Au$45K, - - if sailing when opportunity arises in PNG waters is desired... - New price and sail away ex Redcliffe area, Briabane, quote given about May 2012...

4. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

No wonder this stuff works as paint stripper.....Hemp for sails in the NW is hard to find, they keep smoking it before we can cultivate the fibers.

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Alcohol can be a strong solvent which is a good base from which to make paint stripper...

Whereas hemp is grown quite legally in Australia, has almost no THC content worth measuring or detecting... Some hemp is grown to make rope, some is an excellent and hard wearing fabric, and some (heads) for fools to get high on, and quite a lot of other uses... http://www.informationdistillery.com/hemp.htm and some more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

I have received a trial pair of underpants where the material is made of a mix of hemp and bamboo fibres so it is soft, light, hard-wearing and stretches nicely with good elasticity... Hemp used to be the preferred fibre for rope used in sailing ships (before engines)... Hemp would make excellent sails as one could use the same fibres for sewing and sheets too... I must check its UV resistance too....

6. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

With our new legalization law in WA it is only a matter of time before some one markets a new spin (or head spinning!) on edible undies. Probably have to leave out the bamboo unless they come with chop sticks.....

7. Alex.A

Alex.A Senior Member

But then they'd get stoned eating his undies.......

8. masalai

masalai masalai

According to "wikipaedia, The first USA flag was made of HEMP - it is a wonder that the prohibitionists and other sundry '*******' (those who sell Wang computer systems) have not burned it before this?

ALSO the original Levi jeans/work wear were made of HEMP...

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

My son brought a tee-shirt home on his last visit made of hemp. It was very soft to wear, easy to wash, but most important since he travels as lot, terrifically hard wearing.

Quite a revelation for me - my cotton stuff wears out in 6 months.

10. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I believe him. Claimed he only sold to other westerners. Discreet ones.
    The proof for me, was the bunch of little 1 ounce packets of gold flake he had. Purchased over there, in Iran I think he said.
    He had a buyer somewhere here in states and sold an ounce when he needed funds. He'd be gone 2 days when he sold one.

Since he isn't returning to mideast, he shared his story with me.
    I share it here only because I liked the bit about flavoring the grain alcohol with whiskey barrel wood chips. :)

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Oops, - - - "The comunists" in Canada may have a case that demands analysis? http://www.globalresearch.ca/destroying-countries-transforming-syria-into-a-failed-state/5317160

These long term survival boats may need to be made invisable as I would guess that "Americans" may not have many friends left outside USA as a consequence of collateral damage and other issues look at the map... (attached below)

If you 'bloody someones nose' in the false name of regeme-change and democracy and that is remembered for more than a generation - ,caveat emptor, - The price you paid for someone elses "freedom" may be costly...

So What has Australia done that it is identified as a "Targeted country" WTF :?: - - It was NZ that had the courage to declare, - "NO NUKES in NZ Waters"....

Attached Files:

12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Jeez, Mas. Get a life.....

You and Frosty should start a club -- where as long as you buy a drink for Mama-san now and then, you can sit and swap anti-American stories all night long. Oh, wait... they already have those, don't they?:p

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Jim Beam sells a 90 proof whiskey called Devil's Cut. Supposedly they extract the whiskey left in the wood after their bourbon is aged in oak barrels, and mix it with double-aged Jim Beam. It's my favorite bourbon.

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

A very alarmist map, absolutely useless in conveying any useful information.

According to it, Siberia is infested with CIA schemes, for example.

The thing about the USA is that the citizens are allowed to investigate, discuss and publish all their dirty linen - and very few of the places that are really badly behaved, permit any information to get out.

The known operations of clandestine evildoers in places like Burma, China, Moscow, Chile, Columbia make the CIA/FBI etc look like a kindergarten party.

Go and read a bit at the Amnesty International site for some really dark work. Gaddafi and Sadam were truly bad people, no matter what you say about the US actions. Even Australia has some really sad/bad history, mostly hidden by British educationalists until recently, in its treatment of indigenous people.

Constant sniping at the US with half-baked "evil warmongering" accusations is the mark of half baked amateur historians, who have no real understanding of the whole world situation.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.