Long term survival boat ideas

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by mmutch, Nov 9, 2012.

1. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

This is like Y2K, the calender was misunderstood though the descendants like the current tourism dollars.....mind you with the rate the Pacific Plate is moving there could be some changes. Of course this could be a great way to meet the ladies! We'll have to start a thread called Desperation Dating for the End of the World.

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I'm all set, naturally.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

All set - like jello? :D :eek: :p on a HOT day ? Drink milk and survive...

Australia is predicted to split with a new inland sea from the Gulf of Carpentaria to Spencer Gulf near Adelaide - The City of Churches meets the tropics... Does that mean Catholics can continue to "sin - be forgiven on Sunday and return on Monday "renewed"? significantly closer to "paradise wimen" in the Phillipines, Thailand and Vietnam etc.. For those slightly 'bent' I am assured that there is an abundance of girlboys for those so inclined? - - - I am immune to Gamma rays having been inoculated by our extraterrestrial visitors in the numerous flying saucers visiting this region...

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

With all these estimations of the date of the end of the world --one thing is sure .....

One of them one day will be correct.

5. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Probably the final one...

6. Petros

Petros Senior Member

and each day we get one day closer to the end...

1 person likes this.
  7. YoungGrumpy

YoungGrumpy Junior Member

Well,
    we just went trough the smaller scale practice run. After almost 2 weeks the electricity came back to the house, and the police allowed us today to the boatyard to see the wrecks, and maybe recover some stuff.
    One thing for sure - NJ shore is no place for a dry storage.
    Another - I need 2 more fuel cans next time around.
    Third one is more of an observation. For some time I was kinda laughing stock among my friends/acquaintances for talking about preparing generators, fuel, winter tires on my cars... This time the most popular topic was, "so you've got a generator running at your house...???".
    Well, I think next couple of months a lot of money will be made in selling/installing generators around the NE US. Plus, everything "Emergency Supplies" will be a popular item flying off the shelfs.

8. cavalier mk2

The media keeps using the phrase "once in 100 years" to describe weather events but in truth the climate is changing rapidly and these things will probably increase in frequency and intensity. There is speculation that the polar ice melts are redistributing weight on the earths plates causing more rapid change resulting in more movement/quakes as things rumble into equilibrium. So being a bit more prepared is only common sense, the challenge is that while you may get the last laugh it is apt to be a sad one.

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

When you live in an Urban environment its impractical to be prepared with standby systems. A farmer can have a 1000 litre diesel tank for his tractors outback, but city dwellers will always need to rely on the infrastructure . Perhaps after an ' event" it could be useful to move onto your boat for a week or so and live off its systems. Assuming your boat didn't get swept away.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Temporary futile attempt at surviving a month a best.

A good pair of boots a knife and a fishing rod.

11. cavalier mk2

The biggest challenge with infrastructure will be owning up to how much of it is put in the wrong places......For standby systems the Japanese have some pretty advanced kerosene heaters, some extra storage batteries and an inverter could keep a laptop and cell phone happy. If the city dweller has a car they could be rotated and kept charged.
    I'm interested to hear how the boats fared with Sandy, getting things into hurricane holes takes dedication. A multi approach to weather evasion might involve a RV van towing a trailer tri....

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I hope thats not true because then you would not be able to re incarnate. Maybe Hoyt could explain that one but I don't want to come back as a worm again --it was horrible and damp and the food was awfull.

13. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Boats hold up pretty well in Hurricanes. The damage from hurricanes is not wind its flood water. If your boat is in a good harbour it should be OK.

14. Petros

Petros Senior Member

having emergency supplies is always the butt of "survialist" jokes by "sophisticated" city dwellers from media types on down, until an emergency occures and everyone is demanding the governemnt save them. Than suddenly those who are prepared for emergencys are praised. Go figure.

One storage problem is fuel, current federal ethenol bled crap gasoline starts breaking down after only a few weeks storage. There are "storage fuel" you can buy in sealed cans, cost about $7 a quart! Claimed shelf life is 11 years. Deisel not practical for small generators, I switch mine from gasoline to propane. I have a 500 gal propane tank on my property for household use anyway, and about 30 gallons in varioius size smaller tanks for BBQ, camp stove, etc. should store indefinately as long as tank does not rust through.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What do you want fuel for --you can not possible store or carry that much fuel you would need for a catastrophe.

Forget fuel and the past --this is a new life without microwaves.

Humans will turn very nasty and be more dangerous than any Grizzly --head for the mountains.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.