Long term survival boat ideas

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by mmutch, Nov 9, 2012.

1. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Thanks for justifying my faith in you, Frosty. It's nice to know there are some things and some people I can rely on not to change, in this confusing world.

But I wasn't Army; I was Navy. Also Merchant Marine, for a short while. I bought lots of mama-sans lots of drinks, along with lots of drinks for the bar girls. I may have been an Ugly American, but I wasn't a stingy one. Unlike your average expat Brit....

There was a girl in Olongopo who took custody of my cash whenever I came in. She paid for the drinks, she paid for food, she haggled for me like a demon whenever I bought anything, she bought herself a dress or two, and she probably took a cut for her dear old mom and the younger kids still at home. And when I shipped out, she'd give me back what was left of my money.

It was the only port I never left dead broke. I probably should have married her, and let her keep handling my money. I'd be rich today.... assuming she didn't fly off the handle and knife me, somewhere down the line.

Happy New Year you pigheaded, narrow-minded, xenophobic, American-hating old fart.:D

1 person likes this.
  2. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

The really fun part about reading Frostys posts is realizing how little he really knows about the USA and its' inhabitants. A good laugh.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Wasnt the famous Canadian "Screech" prohibition brew made by distilling empty rum barrels ?

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh I forgot Yanks are just a tad sensative. But hey thanks again for reminding me what its like --I havent been out for 12 hours and will be showering up for some more in an hour.

Germans come in an re arrange the furniture, with usually a few girls and kids too, speak rather loudly, wear black and order Hieneken of course

Aussies wear tiny skin tight pants with the thinnest cheapest flip flops possible. If they have a shirt with them it will have Kangaroo on it, heavy drinkers and smokers and laugh a lot.

Scandis generally well dressed with dress shirt and shoes smart hair cut.

Brits are bald or short hair with gothic tattoos and come here for more cheapo tatts. Looking rather menacing settle down and remain quiet until the foot ball comes on then the brain turns off apart from occasional burst of over the top celebration because some one kicked a ball..

But for shear amusement and bumbling communication with a fist full of baht amounting to just a few dollars trying to buy the street the Yanks are the best laugh.

5. champ0815

champ0815 Senior Member

Nice to read how we behave in a wet and warm country... .
    But is is not a bit short sighted to judge people on their "typical" behaviour in holidays?
    Maybe all the nice people from a country stay at home... .
    Especially the "typical environmental addicted" Germans never would make such a carbon dioxide expensive trip by plane to the warm and wet country just to annoy the local population.
    To get back on topic: In a post apocalyptic scenario nationalities would be of lesser importance, personal skills will be all that matters.

1 person likes this.
  6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh absolutely , I could not agree more but its called fun something I know you wont be familiar with.

I know a German joke,----err its ok you would'nt get it.

Do Germans really put an orange and a towel on there favourite sun longer in Torremolinos and Marbella hotel swimming pools at 6 am to claim the lounger.

Come on ---- I know you do ---admit it.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Germans wear black !!

Makes me laugh. I can also spot a gang of German tourists by their clothing. Black

8. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Hemp Facts

9. champ0815

champ0815 Senior Member

Well, judging from the reactions to your posts, I'm not the only one who didn't get the humour of your statements. You sound thoroughly convinced about what you are writing, so my apologies for not understanding that you just wanted to be funny.
    I'm sorry, never was there nor on any other resort, where there are sun loungers of any kind.
    As you stated correctly, Germans don't know what fun is and consequently spending their holidays by visiting cultural monuments or rearranging furniture and have no time for senseless sun bathing. The people you describe must be some rare species of illiterate underclass Germans... .:cool:

10. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

Ignorance is not bliss

"The really fun part about reading Frostys posts is realizing how little he really knows about the USA and its' inhabitants. A good laugh".

Actually, over time one realises that Frosty is not only ignorant about the US. It extends to practically everything, but that doesn't stop him from pressing his opinions.

11. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Despite Frostys opinions I still think that the quickest, cheapest and most seaworthy "Escape machine" is a Classic Wharram catamaran with steel joists as crossbeams and the bigger the better.
    I have sailed aboard two different 51 ft "Tehinis" and the accomodations were very comfortable and perfectly adequate for extended ocean cruising.

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi oldsailor7,
    I will stick by my build 'CNO' but for ease of construction and repair sheets of marine plywood are difficult to beat... I have issues with the concept of flexibility of the joining of the hulls by rope and the need for a spacious bridgedeck shelter...

I like the stiffness inherant in my boat and it does handle seas very well as a design - Bob Oram is still my preferred design genious, - - however a series of good box girders integrated into the build using marine ply coated with grp for everything, (apart from the deck-house roof maybe), will do me if I am tempted to indulge in paying someone else to re-build...

Here it is...

Attached Files:

13. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

Old Sailor - were there any kind of deck houses between the hulls on those Wharrams? I have to admit that in the spirit of this "long term survival" thread, being able to keep the sun and rain off is very desirable. It would also help to protect the entry to the hulls - a bit like the old Seawind 980 concept.

Though a demountable structure would do, something more solid would be less likely to be swept overboard in a blow, It could be bolted on and thus removeable

14. champ0815

champ0815 Senior Member

Well, at least the Pahi 63 as shown on his web site has some kind of deck house - although these deck houses are very low profile (in comparison to "modern designs") and the designer states the preferred cruising region for this boat as "warmer climate".
    All in all it seems to me as the ideal post apocalyptic design: everything is low tech and replaceable with simple means, maybe not the fastest design but presumably still sailing when modern "plastic" boats are unusable due to lack of spare parts... .

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Wharram = Citroen 2 cv

People that go over Niagra falls in a barrel would like Wharrams or those that travel the world on a dollar a day.

Totally unnecessary minimalist tendancies towards going of shore, and heaven forbid not too far I hope.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.