long shaft or short shaft

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Bill Kubiak, Mar 31, 2006.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Measure the transom from keel to the 'hook' of the motor bracket- it should be ~15", ~20" or ~25 (+/- an inch or so). The plate above the prop is usually level with the keel.
    The short/long/xlong dispute is mainly among smaller boats; in a 23-footer, the engine should have been mounted and rigged by someone who knew what he was doing.

2. ccb

ccb Junior Member

I sure it was done at a marina. Why I asked was because the owner said the last owner had a short shaft on the boat ,with 500 lbs of sand in the bow. It had big trim tabs also. Something wasn't right? I didn't buy the boat. I was very disappointed.

3. Jimboat

Jimboat Senior Member

Tunnel Hull Setup

Bill K - check out AeroMarine web site for setup tips on tunnel hulls. You really should have a short shaft motor for your hull, as you need to mount high on transom, and also don't want a high center of gravity for safe handling. Your motor looks like a short-mid/shaft, so you should be fine for that hull. If you'd like more info on your setup, send PM to me....I'd be glad to help if I can.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.