Long Narrow Planing Hulls

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Randerso, Sep 8, 2006.

1. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Yes, it's ugly to look at. Heck,even the outboard(!) motor well looks hideous. Now look at the trim angle the thing has to take to plane. And the wake it makes in the process. You'd have to be a good kilometre away from something like that, to pass it in anything under 15 feet!
    In terms of living accomodations, even a "condo blob" can't hold a candle to a catamaran of similar length. The cat's huge beam makes for a massive living area. Except that dock fees are loaded against cats, plus they're harder to engineer. And I don't see many floating condos that have much engineering in them- heck, a lot don't really have much structure to speak of, period.
    Which brings up another point. How many big fat condo boats are built well enough to actually be used as boats? Most long skinny boats I see (not many, of course) are built well enough to be caught in a storm. Can we say the same for the 40'x20'x20' condo with the twin 454s?

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

.....:eek: !!!
    Those are the kind of boats I would like to shoot at when they pass by my good old MARIE making her rock like hell. And, when at anchor, they have a sixth sense to realize when I'm cooking for seven with all the mess around!

3. fede

fede Senior Member

No no no !!
    It's still like that...the riva,the ferrari,the ducati,pasta, beautiful girls awsome typewriters...any country can make mistakes we make them bigger but that's the italian way!

4. Randerso

Randerso Junior Member

Back to Basics: How about this long narrow (although not planing) hull? - the Winsom Pedal Launch. http://www.swallowboats.co.uk/content/view/94/104/

I have been watching the development of this boat for a while. I would love to own one. Anyone want to open a dealership in the US?

5. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

Trailerable boats can be loooooooooong

A trailerable boat does have size limits, but the limits are those of the semis pulling trailers -- HUGE.

While the standards are not universal, the nearly universal maximum is:

13 feet high
    8.5 feet wide
    65 feet long
    40 feet from the "king pin" (trailer hitch) to the aft most axle.

If the truck was a "LCF" (low cab forward) with a cab length of 5 feet, then a 60 foot boat is pretty easy, in fact a 65 foot boat is quite easy if its got a clipper bow.

The displacement needs to be kept to about 18,000 lbs so a commercial license is never needed.

An LCF truck, such as an Isuzu/GM or Ford, costs about the same as an F-350 diesel.

Note that real trailer builders (not boat trailer builders) often make trailers that have load platforms that move forward and aft. These are widely used in the towing industry. Therefore, having a trailer built with a cradle for a boat such that the cradle moves well aft to launch, and then back forward after retreival, even makes launching from conventional launch ramps straightforward (cheap!).

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

err - except that you've just spent 1/2 a mil on the tow rig!:p

As for that Italian thing that someone lopped the bow off - Pininfarina would turn in his grave!

7. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

No, $35000 for the truck, and about the same for a fully hydraulic trailer.

Not cheap, but it certainly lowers the total cost of ownership drastically:
    no slip fees ($600 to $1800 per month = $7000 to $20000 per year)
    no haul out fees ($2000 to $10000 per year)
    no paying yard fees for services rendered (easily $2K per year, often much more)

Pays for the truck and trailer pretty quickly.

Also, going trailerable means you can use the best mechanics, those who have comprehensive machine shops on premises, instead of being forced to use whomever can drive to the boat, start working on somethiing, discover they need something else, leaving your boat out of operation and running up your bill while they go back and forth, back and forth...

That REALLY pays for the truck and trailer!!

And how about all those times you go down to the boat, with friends and a weekend of food, and discover that something has gone wrong, can't go, could not tell until you got there. If the boat is on a trailer at your house, you know these things. How much is a wasted weekend worth?

8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Back to the Condo thing. Prodcution manufacturers produce those things because most peopl =e only use their boats 100 hours a year and spend the rest sitting at the dock or on the trailer.

Peter Ball was right. (he was a Naval Architect I worked with for many years) He said that considering what most people buy a boat for and what they use it for, they should buy a houseboat.

I mean. if you want baths and bedrooms buy a hosueboat. If you want to go to sea on your boat, it only needs enough berths for the crew minus one (someone has to be at the helm) and one head will do just fine. What you want is sea keeping and good turn of speed (not real fast but not pokey either), and economy.

That boat you had the link for is really ugly. If that's the Euro Look, they can keep it.

9. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Lets's start at the end and work backwards -
    If you maintain your boat properly, then you should never arrive with your mates to discover that it doesn't go...;)
    Your slip / haulout fees are WAY higher than we have
    ....and you must be talking about a pretty old rig for 70K.... (though I was talking AUD, not USD

Having said all that, I'm a firm believer in the pro's of trailerboat ownership. I would suggest that type of rig you are suggesting is more trailerable than trailerboat, and I'm not too sure about the practicalities of zipping down to the ramp with your 60 footer for a quick day trip, but other than that we are reading from the same book. I would reckon that of those people who actually use their boats, the trailerboat fraternity would travel far more extensively than those with larger boats.
    My own family is a good example. We own a number of trailerboats ranging from 11ft inflatables to 25ft 4ton deep vee diving boats. The trailerboats have toured right up and down the East coats of Oz. Our 36' and 48' cruisers however, have never left the southern state of Tasmania.

The virtues of relatively slender boats is obviously well understood on these pages. Though from a trailerboating point of view, it's a shame that we are all effectively limited to a beam of around 2.5m - an extra foot or two would often make an otherwise heavily compromised and awkward layout much more comfortable

10. Retired Geek

Retired Geek Junior Member

a better look ?

while not slim or even designed for a marina, its not bad for a 40' condo and closer to a Ferrari than most I have seen

Attached Files:

11. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

In the US there are many class 8 trucks that are advertised used for well under$5,000.Peterbuilt ,International .Kenworth et all.

Finding one with 50,000 cheap miles left would not be that hard and a CDL is NOT reqiored if you simply register it as a motorhome. Cheap insurance too!

But if this route is followed you could easily end up with a BOX BOAT , one is discussed in the Motorsailor section "IN BOX."

The advantages of being able to ship the vessel anywhere in the world are great , but the reverse , having the boat built in a lower cost labor area and shipped "home" are mind boggeling.

Much of the cost of any boat are simple labor expenses , and $500. a month for a worker sounds better than $700.00 a week as needed for even minor skills, charged here in the USA.

Anyone have an interesting design for a BB (Box Boat) ?

FAST FRED

12. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Junior Member

It is important to compare features and benefits of a long narrow monohull to multihull designs. Many of the design goals/objectives for a long narrow monohull may be better solved by a multihull design.

13. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

14. skyl4rk

skyl4rk Junior Member

15. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

" Many of the design goals/objectives for a long narrow monohull may be better solved by a multihull design.'

At the price of 2X or 3X the drag .

Plus the unfortunate inverted stability of the cats & tris.

Multis are delightfull tho when anchored in a rolly swell.

Most multis simply go up & down as the monohulls roll , and the monohull crew does the 2 or 3 anchor out dance to attempt to quiet the roll.

FAST FRED

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.