Fiberglass strength

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ron Skelly, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Ron Skelly

Ron Skelly RonS

I plan to glass 3 layers of #6 cloth to my 13 foot long "foam" boat prototype.
    Are there any specifications/formulae on the strength this glass and solid foam this boat will deliver? From tests on the model it seems to have lots of strength to handle a summer of testing while carrying 1 or 2 adults.

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Are you using epoxy resin ?

3. Ron Skelly

Ron Skelly RonS

Yes and it works good on foam.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'd guess it all depends on what rigours you intend to put this boat through, but it sounds like the kind of laminate used where light weight, even ultra light weight, is required. Your project needs to be assessed in its entirety, with consideration to what kind of vessel and what its intended use is, before any meaningful assessment can be made of the adequacy of the lay-up. What suffices on the local duck-pond may be a hazard elsewhere.

5. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

An equal weight single skin of biax or triax will be stiffer and stronger than the woven glass. The issue would be fitting to
    compound surfaces.

6. Ron Skelly

Ron Skelly RonS

Triax/biax

Thank you Tom...Do you think one layer of trimax would be sufficient? Would this be equal to 3 layers of #6 cloth - are there any fiberglass strength guidelines/formulae's that you are aware of?

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Ah - Ron, here you are on the big version of your weight issues.

You are a bit short of details though. I am betting you are planning a solid foam hull.

If you do, you are going to find it very heavy once glassed, compared to a hollow hull.

However, as soon as you go hollow, the thickness of the hull will have a considerable affect on the fibre thickness required.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.