Log/attempt for open source CFD / FEM framework for mast/sails simulation

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by jmf11, Dec 2, 2021.

1. jmf11

jmf11 Junior Member

Hello,

Since some months, I can't refrain a need to better understand mast / sails interactions for simple rigs like small landyachts, like very flexible free standing mast, or windsurfer rigs. Basically FSI - Fluid Structure Interractions <=> CFD + FEM. There are professional software packages for that. But as a hobbyist, this is not an option. I wondered if there would be open source options. Browsing some academic papers, I arrived to the below possibility:
    There has already been some coupling between the 3, to address some applications that have some similarities with my case, as in https://precice.org/community-projects.html#fluid-structure-interaction-of-inflatable-wing-sections or https://elib.uni-stuttgart.de/bitstream/11682/10645/1/FSI_Soft_Kites.pdf

I don't know up to were I will be able to go, as I'm a sailor, I like science, I know the aerodynamics basics applied to sails... but I have no experience with simulation software, CFD and FEM. However, I'm willing to learn. I expect progress to be slow ;-)

A researcher near MBDyn design team may provide some advive and support. This will be very helpful.

Any feedback and advice will be appreciated. Intention is to learn.

JMF

2. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

In the software section of the forum there is a recent thread about using Freecad for hull design.It also has workbenches for FEM and CFD,both of which are topics beyond my understanding.

3. jmf11

jmf11 Junior Member

I'm a FreeCAD user. I already used the FEM workbech for simple static simulations. Some people also work on a MBDyn workbench. This position FreeCAD in the landscape as an interesting piece to glue things together. However, from what I see the workbenches are not mature enough yet to be the central piece of the puzzle.

JMF

4. geo2

geo2 Junior Member

There's a 3 year trial of autodesk cfd for academics and students.

5. jmf11

jmf11 Junior Member

Thanks geo2 for the information.
    Unfortunatly I'm neither a student nor an academic. 3 year trial still looks appealing (more than 3 or 6 month) to find a "workaround".

However, the OpenFOAM+MBDyn combo is still appealing.

I progress super slowly, but there is still no road blocker yet. I'm digging the MBDyn membrane modelling, and association with the flexible mast. The tool is powerful, but really oriented to "people that know". So reference documentation more than howto and tutorials... And a quite small community. Then the too is designed to be as generic as possible with (to my eyes at least) high level physics general laws considerations, that you then have to dertive to your basic case (exemple for a simple beam).

I think that once a use case will be set-up with the basics of a sail rig, then adapting it to different models should be much more easy.

Let's see if I can arrive to do someting. This will be the 2022 hobby project :)

Best regards,

JMF

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.