Lofting with CAD2000

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by JOFRACON, Apr 24, 2004.

1. JOFRACON

JOFRACON New Member

I am new to CAD and experienced with the lofting process. I would like some help with the first station for lofting up the hull using CAD......from there it should be smooth sailing.
    Any one out there??
    John C
    email john4c@pacbell.net

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

Put simply, not to mention bluntly, CAD is a bad tool for lofting.
    CAD is handy for developing shapoes that are mathematically fair (although can still be "unfair" in boatbuilders' terms). If you really want to loft a fair shape, I'm afraid the floor is your friend.
    A great deal of effort is still needed with CAD to fair a hull. True, you can "fair" one station quite easily, even a whole boatload of stations individually, but when you connect them, there will be unfairness. Trying to sort out that mess is something I never want to do again :)
    When developing a new hullform, I always work on the "less is best" philosophy. The mesh should be composed of the fewest points required to define a shape. LArge numbers of points are impossible to fair, and that is what you will get by feeding in a table of offsets to a CAD program.
    Steve

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.