Lock Crowther 1962 Kraken 25 trimaran build and rebuild log

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Here is my marked up scan of the K25 main hull sections in .pdf. I don't vouch it's perfect but it did work out ok for me. The boat of course is no cruiser but there is a reasonable amount of hull volume for daysailing gear/picnic basket etc around the daggerboard case area.

I glued in the deck and beam supports today.

Attached Files:

2. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Thanks!!! Will run them out and see where I land. Sorry for late response, been taking care of my dad a bit these past few weeks. He's had some minor health issues somive been pulling the load for him round there house.

Barry

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

No worries, hope it's of assistance, all the best.

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

A bit of work completed today I built a small rolling platform and cradle to carry the main hull so I could break down and remove the original strongback and clear up the workshop. In the next few weeks I should get the platform, crossbeams and old floats mocked up to confirm bulkhead positions and alignments.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  5. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Nice! Looks like you got the top form all sorted nice as well.

Barry

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Hi Barry, It's not perfect and has a slight twist in the front and rear of the hull nothing that will cause problems but a fixed strongback while building would have been better as far as keeping things square.

7. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

For sure when your dealing with wood keep it locked down as long as ya can! Haha been thinking long and hard about how I'll proceed and for sure I'll do good strong back with a preset gunwale incorporated into molding. I'll be doing cedar, cause its abundant here, with cove and bead. Plan is set a nice 3 inch wale with a bead in it and start stripping right onto that. If I make it from a 3x1/2 I can shape it hull thickness plus a ledge for deck landing. Which I'm hoping gives more reference points for accurate hull shape. The one thing I'm hashing around is this, is it worth either raising free board or doing short ramps, in order to get rid of drop off where beams cut across hull? Or would a nice fairing on beams take care of that.

Barry

8. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Oh and maybe for yours you can add some anti twist when you glass hull?

Barry

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It's pretty minor I ran the plane over it today in a few selected locations and now the perfect eye is pretty satisfied. It wasn't much and I think I can tweak the last bit out when I fit the bulkheads and daggerboard case. The only thing I'd do differently is setup the case and internal bulkheads first, accurate measurements at the mold stage are a bit easier.

10. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Just imagining how daunting a task that'd be with the overlapping strip. You'd have to run strips between bulkheads rather than over them, and glue to them but not hit strips. It's by far the most beautiful looking hull but man! lotta tricky work! What was your final hull thickness btw?

Barry

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It shouldn't be too bad to set those elements in position with a strip build just setup your mold segments as usual and since you don't have any battens fit your bulkheads and fair with a batten to the surrounding mold forms. You could even make them a bit undersize and make the gap good with some thickened epoxy when you pull the hull. The alternative would be just mark out and cut the daggerboard slot and fit the case once you turn the hull. It's not impossible to fit the bulkheads after constructing the shell anyway so do it that way if you like.

I'd keep the strips at the keelson and gunwale full length if possible and make up the short and tapered strips to fit round the curve of the bilge.

13. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Well doing horizontal strip as I plan to do it's pretty straight forward, just like a canoe really. I was thinking more with the diagonal strip style as yours. But I gotta say, after reading this up a bit on gougeon brothers articles the diagonal strip method makes more sense now. The natural spring to wrapping that way seems to ease the need for some longerons in assembly. They show some assembly with very minimal framework for mold.

Barry

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It's pretty cool to build with the cold molded method not especially quick but it does make nice shapes that shouldn't require too much fairing if your basic mold is right.

15. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

How much epoxy did you use on main hull?

Barry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.