Lock Crowther 1962 Kraken 25 trimaran build and rebuild log

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Jun 7, 2011.

1. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Congratulations Corley, It must have felt a long time coming.

2. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thanks guys, It's nice to be making some progress as a lot of things had to fall back into place in life and business before I could continue which they now have.

Marmoset the foam comes from a friend of mine who CNC cuts signs. I was thinking of using it to help build some hull plugs for a 2m model trimaran project I have underway.

3. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

I do r/c plane stuff so yeah!I'm a foam hoarder! Have a whole section of garage dedicated to foam and hot wires! I use to do plug work to for this place too, www.tamjets.com , buddy decided to do it for a living(which is probably why he does t enjoy it so much anymore! Haha)

Barry

4. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Wow got some calls back today, material sourcing, paulownia here at say 4mmx50mm (1/4"x2")nearly 1.80 a Lin foot! WRC it is then! Haha

Barry

5. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

My guess is a large part of that is machining, be interesting to see what the wrc price is for the same size.
    By the way 1/4 inch is 6.35ml not 4.

6. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

7. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Yeah your right Reuben, I improperly fuse into that equation what they had for what I could get. I.e 4mm thick paulownia, but not gonna get that in cedar from my source, they go 1/4 then up to 3/8. And in my case I have all the stuff,tools wise, so it would be a true 1/4 or yes 6mm. And actually that lower price was bypassing a lot of machining, I priced and planks I would process, for actual pre done 4mm individual strips it was closer to 2 per foot. Cedar I can beat that all day long, if I wanna do more work I can re-saw planks and do the drying even and drop it right down there.

And os, noooooo kidding! Oh ,man that's very cool! Will have to take pics of my fleet sometime. As of past few years though it's been more turbine and edf. Present plane I'm working on is fie boa Rafael for twin 100mm's. I'll shoot ya some pics if your,interested. I also have 2 plugs on the boards right now, one is a 80mm f-16 and the other is a 90mm m.e 1101.

Barry

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Barry, we better not Hi Jack this thread, but I have a 70mm F104 And am looking for a Super Hornet.
    Now about the boats-----:D

9. Tom.151

Tom.151 Best boat so far? Crowther Twiggy (32')

A big congrats Corley ! ! !

She's already a beautiful boat.

You do Locke Crowther real justice with this build.

10. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Thanks Tom, It's great to be making progress again the to do list is getting shorter. I can now almost envision going out for a sail but I don't like thinking about that too much, better to put one foot in front of the other I've found.

11. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Anything new on the rebuild? Just got my plans and starting to study through them now.

Barry

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've started work on building a deck jig to correct the wavy gunnels and help with positioning the internal hardware.

13. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Yeah caught that on your blog, just studying and planning here. Kinda had a few thoughts how to proceed in accord with your posts. A: I'm gonna strip plank. B I'm thinking maybe even along wales set a 2 1/2 inch strip on forms to start planking from. My thought was it doubled for a firm true start that's in the mold from the start. And keel I think I'll do poured as you have planned cause I may experiment with leeboards.

Barry

14. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I definitely think a good gunnel strip on the mold would help a lot it would fair itself to the mold stations and give you a good reference as to positioning for the final fitout.

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I've made a basic deck jig to facilitate a means of gluing the gunnel strip to the outside of the hull the plans call for a 3/4" clear Oregon square section which seems reasonable. I cut the centre out of several glued and scarphed sheets of ply marked a centerline using my shop laser and ran a fairing batten over it's length with the correct station mold spacings and widths to get a fair curve. The bow is slightly twisted to one side so part of the idea is to try and correct that while the hull is still quite flexible. Once I have the gunnel strip set I'll attach the outer ply cutouts to help hold the shape while I fit internal bulkheads, daggerboard case etc. I need more clamps :)

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.