revisiting power calculations

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Mik the stick, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Mik the stick

Mik the stick Senior Member

When I first joined this forum I was a bit obsessed with power calculations. I have become much more learned since then. I have come across many different formula. I have come to an embarrassing conclusion. Wymans formula is probably the best but that hardly matters.
    What matters is that you have enough horsepower and the props are not over or under powered. I believe the recommended horsepower for a Diesel Duck 32 is 50-80hp. I worked out 3 props for the Duck with 3 to 1 gear boxes.
    1. 50hp @ 3000rpm Yanmar 22"D 18"P for 8.8kn
    2. 75hp @ 2400rpm John Deere 27"D 22"P for 8.5kn
    3. 22hp @ 3600rpm Yanmar 16"D 15"P.
    I have estimated the Tc Value for the DD at 2,25ft. This means that the 22hp Yanmar is unsuitable as D. Gerr's formula for min size of prop gives 20.7".
    Dave's formula for power recommends 65hp, and Wymans 78.6hp.
    Starting with 65 or 78.6hp means the propellors will be different. Assuming the props are pitched to give the same speed, the bigger engine will accelerate much better. It will also deal better with bad weather.:D

2. Ike

Ike Senior Member

What does George Buehler recommend?

3. Mik the stick

Mik the stick Senior Member

Ike
    I believe he recommends an Iveco 80hp. But I chose his boat as an example. It appears in "Voyaging under power" with an unspecified type of 80hp diesel, no mention of the prop.

4. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Make sure the prop has sufficient blade area. My experience would indicate a 24" dia. minimum unless the boat is very light... which I doubt.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.