Load Lines for ships below 24m

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Alik, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

But you do not have to comply with it, you can elect to use different sections of the Class rules.

The main problem is that many Flag sates do not have rules for small and/or fast high speed craft especially passenger vessels. As such most have now adopted the HSC code for domestic vessels, in the absence of their own.

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

If You look at RS HSC Rules, You can see that it is 1:1 with the Code, plus structural requirements and some extras such as load mark, etc. And yes, they apply all these requirements to 10m boat; say the requirement for 2 gensets is exactly from there.

I mean, that societies with lack of experience and high level of corruption such as RS are like that... they apply IMO Codes to small craft in full.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Unfortunately many of the less informed Flag states who adopt the HSC Code also do so verbatim. Same result. Sadly just gotta bite the bullet! :(

4. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Well, You call it less informed I call it more corrupt and/or more ignorant. You know, I am very straight.

Real situation with one of those, so called 'Ukrainian Register of Shipping'. They requested to weld seacocks... to the composite hull. Officially, in letter. The builder asked how it can be done and is they have ever seen standard through-hull fitting for small boats. And what they answered was: 'glass steel plate into the hull, and weld to it'. Sounds like complete absurd, but not to them.

Another story: recently RS sent 6 pages of their comments for our sea trials program. All complete absurd, but the masterpiece was requirement to test the anchor system by dropping the anchor for 'touching the bottom' condition at the depth of 82.5m, according to some their Rules for seagoing vessels. On our 10m boat, we had only 25m of chain and rope, together. So we sent them official letter asking if the boat should be first submersed to the depth of 82.5-25=57.5m?

5. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Don't laugh Alik but this really happened. The Naval Architect I have worked with (at least he claims to be and is Head of Marine Engineering) Designed a one piece metal exhaust pipe that will penetrate a fiberglass hull. There is a flange on the pipe that will be bolted to the hull to secure it.

I asked him how are you going to fit it? He said he will fit the pipe first, bolt the flange to the composite hull then WELD IT TOGETHER. Well he is going to have a charred hull or an FRP boat on fire before he even finish. Probably the most stupid person or most pretentious one I have ever met.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.