Father 'kidnaps' his two toddlers from Ex, steals sailboat!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Squidly-Diddly, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/stolen-yacht-missing-children-spotted-northern-cal/nR5dz/

I get the feeling the plan might have worked if the theft had gone noticed for a week or so.

The boat he stole looks pretty snazzy, maybe if he had picked a 'lower profile' craft.

I'm not too familiar with typical 'owner/harbormaster' relationships, but would it be likely that an owner would take his boat out w/out letting the HM know, and would a HM be making calls to owner, or his 'contact info' if a boat isn't in the slip?

Does this very greatly?

Any other good stories about escaping the authorities with a yacht?

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

yeah, this intrepid guy

http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?nid=16256

stole an expensive yacht in melbourne, australia.

He must have been surprised when the owner tracked him down in a chartered plane a few hours later.

They picked him up across bass strait in Tasmania shortly after this story. He had been due to appear in court that week.

The mindset of people who try to make a getaway on sailing boats !!! :rolleyes:

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Stealing a sailboat is a fairly easy thing, but most don't do it properly. If you know what to do, who to contact and smile and wave as you pass through the marina, everyone thinks you're out for an afternoon sail. Of course stealing a well known yacht is a pretty foolish thing, but again goes toward knowing what you're doing. I'll bet I could arrive in any city in the world, convince my way aboard 80% of the yachts I might be interested in and have it out of the slip, without difficulty within a week. Of course I also would have a place very near by to stash it and wouldn't try to sail a passage, I'd be stealing it. She'd be in a container or as covered deck freight in 6 hours. I'm always amazed at thieves lack of inventiveness. What's worse is, of all the crimes committed in this country only 10% get convictions on, which goes a long way toward the intelligence of our crime investigators. I would have made a fine criminal, had I put my mind to it. Speaking of which, had I been so inclined, I'd probably be retired by now, with a villa in the Med and catered by scantly clad teenagers continuously. Maybe it's not too late to change.

4. GTS225

GTS225 Junior Member

Well, Par, your day is coming up, then. Wednesday, Sept. 19, is national talk like a pirate day.

Roger

5. PAR

One of my favorite days, though it's not going to help me steal a yacht, quite the opposite is necessary. Generally, if you look and act like you're supposed to be there, most don't question a thing. If you couple this with some "I'm some one's personal assistant" (or what ever con) to the appropriate folks in the area, like a harbor master or dock gate guard, things can go rather easily.

Simply put, if you show up at a gated marina, with the idea of sailing off on a 1.8 million dollar yacht, you wear $5,000 worth of clothing, speak appropriately and with authority, you can blow past the most insistent security, that's just been interrupted from his want-a-be special forces weaponry magazine. With a well thought out and prearranged plan, you'd have everything lined up for a simple day trip/check ride, because your boss is having his 60th birthday aboard and everything must be jussssst right. I'd probably show up with a young, well endowed, revealing, but classy dressed 24 year old woman with big boobs, just in case I need more distraction. A nice set of boobs can get you into a lot of places, particularly if they can "work" the role. Yep, I'd have made a damn good crook.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is that how you pick up large boobed 24 year olds? You tell them to help you with a heist?;)

7. PAR

No, I tell them about my prehensile pecker . . . if they're bright enough to follow, they've just got to find out and I've got them. Well, at least until the truth can be seen anyway. By then, my charm and the profits of a good con, have them interested in other things.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.