Keel Hole(d)

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Muzzle Snarfles, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Muzzle Snarfles

Muzzle Snarfles New Member

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone can help. Dad and I Ave a Transworld 41. We have done extensive work to this boat and pulled it a few weeks ago to install a Bow Thruster and do annual bottom job.

After it was out a week. Moisture appeared on bottom about 8 inches above bottom of keel. Dad sanded a bit and water started coming out.

So he sanded more. Eventually opening a hole and watered REALLY poured out. We used a hole saw and opened it up more ultimately discovering a fairly large void - cavity - chamber - space - cavern... I don't know what to call it.

I placed a snake camera inside and took the pictures attached to this post. The cavern is only on one side and is large enough to hold about 30 gallons of water.

Boat has lead (maybe iron) keel with concrete. I've reached out to my fellow boat owners and none of them have this (that they know of).

Bottom line... I want to fill the cavern then repair holes. But what with? I initially thought of a leveling compound but worried about expansion and depth. As I understand it leveling compounds are relatively thin. This cavern is about 8 - 10 inches deep. And if that isn't an issue... I'm still concerned about strain on keel if it expands.

Thought I'd reach out and see if anyone else has ever seen something like this or can give me an idea of how to repair.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Is this a keel encapsulated in fiberglass. From your description I understand the hole is on the outside and almost at the bottom of the keel. I have seen in several boats.

3. Muzzle Snarfles

Yes. It is. I tasted water that came out and it was salty. My guess is a void developed when original concrete was poured then entered through a pin hole in fiberglass.

How was it handled in boats you have seen with it?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It makes a difference if the metal is steel or lead. Steel may be rusting which causes other issues. Do you have a way of finding out. For example, using a strong magnet.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  5. Muzzle Snarfles

I will try magnet tomorrow. Thanks you.

6. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

There seems to have been various variations on a theme of the Transworld 41, including aft cockpit and centre cockpit versions. Which one is yours?
    Here is a centre cockpit version for sale, for reference.
    YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale http://www.robinhoodyachts.com/privatelabel/listing/pl_ts_boat_full_detail.jsp?boat_id=2712739

Re the hole that you drilled in the side of the keel with the hole saw (was it also drilled about 8" above the keel base?), how far forward from the aft end of the keel is it?
    Can you perhaps post a side profile photo of the vessel for reference?
    I am wondering it if might be possible to access this void space from above (perhaps by again drilling down with a hole saw) - how deep is the bilge under the cabin sole in the area where the void space is?
    Gonzo's suggestion re testing it with a strong magnet is excellent - hopefully it will have no reaction to the magnet. :)
    Are you sure that the ballast (either lead or iron) is set in concrete rather than (for example) a type of pourable 2 part resin?

BlueBell likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.